Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I link xml file to new clips

I have a short timeline of 4 minutes with about 25 clips. I had copied the SD files from the chip to a hard drive and I thought I imported the files from there when creating the project. All went fine in editing until I tried to export to Compressor and it was grayed out. The files showed up as missing, with a camera icon, showing that FCP wanted camera files. I tried linking, re-linking, etc. but nothing worked. So I exported an XML file. Then I dumped all the clips from the project and re-imported .mov clips from the hard drive. These are all the same clips that were in the project originally.

So... can I somehow bring back the XML file and then use the NEW, correct clips that are in the project? I can't seem to figure out how.

The timeline xml should know the clips it needs, and now, they DO reside in the project. Am I just screwed and have to start from scratch?

Thx.

MacPro - 32 gig - High Sierra 10.13.3 - FCP X 10.4

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 64 gig ram. Thunderbolt raids

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM

The Reimport from Camera/Archive would be the right way, like Tom said.

If that is not possible, and you have the clips, you *may* be able to get away with editing the XML file, so that it references the clips you do have, and reimporting it.

**** I have not tried this and I can offer no guarantee that it works. ****

In the XML, there are tags with src="file:///Users/..." that point to where FCP X expects the media files to be.

I expect that if you edit this in a plain text editor so that they point to where the files actually are, there is a chance that upon importing the xml it will work.

Disclaimer: never tried it, although I have in the past done some tricks with the xml with good results.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Rick Morton1

The Reimport from Camera/Archive would be the right way, like Tom said.

If that is not possible, and you have the clips, you *may* be able to get away with editing the XML file, so that it references the clips you do have, and reimporting it.

**** I have not tried this and I can offer no guarantee that it works. ****

In the XML, there are tags with src="file:///Users/..." that point to where FCP X expects the media files to be.

I expect that if you edit this in a plain text editor so that they point to where the files actually are, there is a chance that upon importing the xml it will work.

Disclaimer: never tried it, although I have in the past done some tricks with the xml with good results.

How can I link xml file to new clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.