Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How can I link xml file to new clips

I have a short timeline of 4 minutes with about 25 clips. I had copied the SD files from the chip to a hard drive and I thought I imported the files from there when creating the project. All went fine in editing until I tried to export to Compressor and it was grayed out. The files showed up as missing, with a camera icon, showing that FCP wanted camera files. I tried linking, re-linking, etc. but nothing worked. So I exported an XML file. Then I dumped all the clips from the project and re-imported .mov clips from the hard drive. These are all the same clips that were in the project originally.

So... can I somehow bring back the XML file and then use the NEW, correct clips that are in the project? I can't seem to figure out how.

The timeline xml should know the clips it needs, and now, they DO reside in the project. Am I just screwed and have to start from scratch?

Thx.

MacPro - 32 gig - High Sierra 10.13.3 - FCP X 10.4

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 64 gig ram. Thunderbolt raids

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Rick Morton1 In response to Rick Morton1

The Reimport from Camera/Archive would be the right way, like Tom said.

If that is not possible, and you have the clips, you *may* be able to get away with editing the XML file, so that it references the clips you do have, and reimporting it.

**** I have not tried this and I can offer no guarantee that it works. ****

In the XML, there are tags with src="file:///Users/..." that point to where FCP X expects the media files to be.

I expect that if you edit this in a plain text editor so that they point to where the files actually are, there is a chance that upon importing the xml it will work.

Disclaimer: never tried it, although I have in the past done some tricks with the xml with good results.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Rick Morton1 In response to Rick Morton1

The Reimport from Camera/Archive would be the right way, like Tom said.

If that is not possible, and you have the clips, you *may* be able to get away with editing the XML file, so that it references the clips you do have, and reimporting it.

**** I have not tried this and I can offer no guarantee that it works. ****

In the XML, there are tags with src="file:///Users/..." that point to where FCP X expects the media files to be.

I expect that if you edit this in a plain text editor so that they point to where the files actually are, there is a chance that upon importing the xml it will work.

Disclaimer: never tried it, although I have in the past done some tricks with the xml with good results.

Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 13, 2018 8:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1 In response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up re-editing the whole thing from scratch. I just could not find a way to re-link the clips now in the browser to the original timeline edit. No big deal. It was a short piece. Live and learn.

Mar 13, 2018 8:58 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Rick Morton1

Question: How can I link xml file to new clips