Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a photo in PHOTOS to iMOVIE 11. I am using El Capitan

How do I add a still image from PHOTOS to iMOVIE. The file transfers but the image is blank (black)

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), intel core 2 duo 2.66 ghz 4gb ram

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 9:24 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2018 12:18 PM in response to cedric186

Hi, cedric,

iMovie 9 is not fully compatible with operating systems from El Capitan and later. Black images are one of the major complaints. The solution is to update to current iMovie 10.1.8 and current High Sierra. If you do that, be aware that iMovie 10 has a very different structure and user interface than iMovie 9. So there will be a bit of a learning curve.

You could try lowering the resolution of the photo and see if that helps, though I doubt that it will. Open the photo with the Preview app on your make and click on Tools/Adjust Size. In the options box that appears, lower the long size number to a number less than 4000. Go down to a low as you need to.

-- Rich

Mar 15, 2018 11:12 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

Sorry for the delay in replying, I already have iMovie 10.1.6 and that is the problem! since I had to upgrade to El Capitan and had to use Photos instead of iPhoto the transfer of still images from the Photos app to iMovie is hit and miss, sometimes getting the image onto the timeline sometimes only a black image. The strange thing to my mind is its OK for some images but blank on others, and that is more often than not. File size doesn't do it unless I bring it down to kbs and the quality suffers. Apple can't help me because my computer is no longer supported!!

Thankyou for your help but unfortunately the only answer I have is to upgrade to Sierra it seems and that isn't possible with my present operating system due to its age. Why can't Apple accommodate this individual shortfall in the new Photos app is a mystery to me. It does make me cynical, thinking it's a good way to make people buy a new computer and in the case of an iMac thats not easy answer .

Thanks again

Cedric

Mar 15, 2018 2:55 PM in response to cedric186

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches.

Also, what format are these photos in? Pick one that is showing black and open it in the Preview app on your Mac. Click on Tools/Show inspector to see what format it is in. Or, you can Control-click on the photo icon and select Get Info to find out the format.

You can also try redownloading iMovie 10.1.6.

-- Rich

How do I add a photo in PHOTOS to iMOVIE 11. I am using El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.