Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 MacBook Pro with Dual Monitors - Really Loud System Fan

Hi there,

Today I decided to connect my two Dell monitors to my MacBook. I connected them with Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI cables and everything was working fine.

I then discovered that I could set it up so that I could close the lid on the MacBook and just use the Dell screens as my two displays. This is where the issues started.

Shortly after the laptop boots up with the two screens connected the fan starts to ramp up until eventually being on full speed constantly. If I check the Activity Monitor the system isn't actually under much load at all as I've nothing running.

Is this a known bug?

If I boot up the MacBook with the lid open then all 3 screens display and the system fan is normal so the issue is something related to the closing of the MacBook lid.

All suggestions are welcome.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 4:08 PM

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 12, 2018 10:53 AM in response to Kappy

Unfortunately not.. If you open the lid then the MacBook screen is then also treated as a display screen and even worse the main screen..

When the lid is closed then the MacBook screen doesn’t show up in the list of available displays and I can operate it just as I’d like..

Unfortunately with the MacBook getting so hot I’d fear the lifespan wouldn’t be too long..

This must be a bug that someone has come across before?

2014 MacBook Pro with Dual Monitors - Really Loud System Fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.