Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: ES2 One-shot

On the No Doubt song "Hella Good," 4th bar, 4th beat, is a "pitch dive" sound that repeats every other bar. I synthesized that sound with Mainstage ES2. My problem is I have to hold down the key while the sound completes its envelope. I'd like to be able to just tap the key to trigger the complete envelope. I think the behavior I want is called one-shot. If I audio sample my ES2 "pitch dive" patch, I could load it in EXS24 and play it as a one-shot sample--and not have to hold down the key. But is there a way to get this one-shot behavior with the ES2 patch. Can the ES2 Vector envelope do this? If so, I can't understand how. Any help appreciated!

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

This looks interesting. No experience with Scripter, but I'll give it a try. Thank you!

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 6:53 PM in response to sugus In response to sugus

The only way I would think of is to extend the release parameter on the amp envelope to make sure that the sounds sustains as long as necessary then use Mono mode on the ES2 so even if the release exceeds the length of the bar at the proper tempo , it would cutoff because you would re-trigger the same note on the following downbeat of the next bar .

The only other alternative would be to sample the sound and load it up and make a program in the EXS . Make sure you also use the Mono mode to allow the new triggered sound not to overlap the previous one

Hope it make sense ..:-)

Mar 14, 2018 8:09 AM in response to sugus In response to sugus

You can use the Scripter plug-in on the ES2 channel.

Insert the Scripter plug-in and copy this line of code in its editor:

function HandleMIDI(e) {
  if (e instanceof NoteOn) {
  newOff = new NoteOff;
  newOff.pitch = e.pitch;
  newOff.channel = e.channel;
  e.send();
  newOff.sendAfterMilliseconds(520); // Change this value to suit your tempo (ms). 
  }
}

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 12, 2018 6:53 PM in response to sugus In response to sugus

The only way I would think of is to extend the release parameter on the amp envelope to make sure that the sounds sustains as long as necessary then use Mono mode on the ES2 so even if the release exceeds the length of the bar at the proper tempo , it would cutoff because you would re-trigger the same note on the following downbeat of the next bar .

The only other alternative would be to sample the sound and load it up and make a program in the EXS . Make sure you also use the Mono mode to allow the new triggered sound not to overlap the previous one

Hope it make sense ..:-)

Mar 12, 2018 6:53 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 12, 2018 7:04 PM in response to yfrulla In response to yfrulla

Yes, this does make sense. I'll experiment with the ES2 method, but the problem is that the Release stage, instead of fading in volume, needs to end abruptly--which I currently achieve by lifting my finger off the key (with max Sustain stage). Sampling the sound and firing it as a one-shot is probably the way to go, just an extra step. I thank you.

Mar 12, 2018 7:04 PM

Reply Helpful

You can use the Scripter plug-in on the ES2 channel.

Insert the Scripter plug-in and copy this line of code in its editor:

function HandleMIDI(e) {
  if (e instanceof NoteOn) {
  newOff = new NoteOff;
  newOff.pitch = e.pitch;
  newOff.channel = e.channel;
  e.send();
  newOff.sendAfterMilliseconds(520); // Change this value to suit your tempo (ms). 
  }
}

Mar 14, 2018 8:09 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

It works perfectly. Note Off is delayed by amount specified. Thank you for this and for opening the door to Scripter.

Mar 14, 2018 8:09 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: sugus

Question: ES2 One-shot