Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad activation lock

Help! I bought an iPad from a woman in 2013 from Brigham, Utah. She must have lost her iPad and used the find my iphone, which I guess is still linked to my iPad. Now I'm locked out of my ipad, and have no way of contacting this woman. HELP!

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:10 PM

Hi,

"no way of contacting this woman" ...

Then I'm afraid you are out of luck.

How do I check for Activation Lock before I buy a used device?

When you buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps before you buy the device:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country or region, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 2:10 PM in response to kristalfromsmithfield

Hi,

"no way of contacting this woman" ...

Then I'm afraid you are out of luck.

How do I check for Activation Lock before I buy a used device?

When you buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps before you buy the device:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country or region, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

IPad activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.