Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Playing scanned audio discs on other devices?

I've purchased some albums from the iTunes Store, but I also scanned several hundred music CDs onto my MacBook Pro (running on High Sierra version 10.12.3). To replace all of them with downloaded digital albums would be prohibitively expensive, and some of them aren't available in digital format. So I have two questions: 1) Since the only home speakers I've seen advertised that connect wirelessly to any Apple devices seem to be designed only for iOS devices rather than OS-X devices, is there any way that I can run my old CD music off the MacBook rather than resorting to my old CD player to hear my music at home; and 2) is there a way to get those scanned CD albums into the iTunes app on my iPhone (running on iOS 11.2.6) so that I can listen to them while on the go?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 12, 2018 2:32 PM in response to GrammaHobbit In response to GrammaHobbit

You can AirPlay from your Mac or an iOS device to Apple's new HomePod. An iOS device is required for the initial set up, but you can use a Mac thereafter. Other systems are available. When you say scanned do you mean ripped? This is the name usually given to the process of copying audio data from a CD into files on your computer that can then be played independently of the CD and on any suitable device. See iTunes for Windows: Import songs from CDs for details.

tt2

Mar 12, 2018 2:32 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 9:42 PM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

For Question 1: I'm more interested in "other systems" than in a HomePod. That's overkill for us. We're not interested in some high-tech device that does everything; we just want a simple speaker or two that will play what we have in iTunes (not Apple Music). And we'd need something that's wireless.

For Question 2: I'd never heard the term "ripped"; that sounds to me too much like "ripped off," as in "stolen." Anyhow, what I've done has been to put the CDs into the slot on my MacBook Pro, turn on iTunes and copy the contents of the discs onto the hard drive of the laptop, in the iTunes program. That's done, so I don't need the discs any longer if I want to drag the laptop along and listen to them in the car while we're traveling. (And since I don't have any Windows devices, the "iTunes for Windows" link wasn't even appropriate.) What I'd like to be able to do is to get what I've already copied onto the MacBook, into iTunes on my iPhone. I have a lot of music that I like on the laptop, and much of it was copied off CDs that aren't available in digital form. And re-purchasing the ones that are available as digital files would be prohibitively expensive; it involves literally hundreds of CDs that I've purchased over twenty years or so. And I'd like to be listening to them, for example, when I'm out walking my dog. Can I get them into either iCloud or a third-party cloud-based app like Dropbox? or can I sync my iPhone to the laptop and get the music files into the phone's iTunes that way? or is there some other solution to this dilemma?

Mar 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 3:48 AM in response to GrammaHobbit In response to GrammaHobbit

Your imported music is in iTunes and plays on your computer, so there is no need to re-purchase anything. See Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB - Apple Support to copy it to your iPhone. Once you have the music in your phone you can listen to it wherever you are with your device. There are adaptor cables or transmitters for connecting to the car. You may also find budget level speakers for use with the iPhone in a dock, or that you can connect with a mini-jack cable to the headphone socket of your laptop.

Dropbox isn't likely to be useful. Adding your music to an iCloud Music Library is possible if you Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support, but unless you have multiple computers and devices in different locations I doubt you need it.

tt2

Mar 13, 2018 3:48 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: GrammaHobbit

Question: Playing scanned audio discs on other devices?