Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my phone still ring on mute?

My iPhone 7+ is amazing, however I’m wondering why when it’s on mute it still rings as I would like to not have to turn it off for every important outing I go on.

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 11:46 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Sophie1106.
If I understand your post correctly, you'd like to be able to silence your iPhone without powering it off altogether. I certainly understand wanting to receive notifications without distrubing others. I'd like to help.
Make sure you're using these steps to silence your iPhone:

The Ring/Silent switch is on the left side of your iPhone. You can use it to control which sounds play through your iPhone speaker.

Put your iPhone in Ring/Silent mode

When your iPhone is set to ring, ringtones, alerts, and sounds play through your iPhone speakers.

When your iPhone is set to silent, you won't hear ringtones or alerts, but other sounds will play through your iPhone speakers and your iPhone will vibrate.

These settings affect only your iPhone speaker. If you use a headset, sounds play through your headset, even if your iPhone is on silent.

Ring mode

User uploaded file

To put your iPhone in Ring mode, move the switch so that orange isn't showing.

Silent mode

User uploaded file

To put your iPhone in Silent mode, move the switch so that orange is showing.

See the full article here:
How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Sophie1106

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Sophie1106.
If I understand your post correctly, you'd like to be able to silence your iPhone without powering it off altogether. I certainly understand wanting to receive notifications without distrubing others. I'd like to help.
Make sure you're using these steps to silence your iPhone:

The Ring/Silent switch is on the left side of your iPhone. You can use it to control which sounds play through your iPhone speaker.

Put your iPhone in Ring/Silent mode

When your iPhone is set to ring, ringtones, alerts, and sounds play through your iPhone speakers.

When your iPhone is set to silent, you won't hear ringtones or alerts, but other sounds will play through your iPhone speakers and your iPhone will vibrate.

These settings affect only your iPhone speaker. If you use a headset, sounds play through your headset, even if your iPhone is on silent.

Ring mode

User uploaded file

To put your iPhone in Ring mode, move the switch so that orange isn't showing.

Silent mode

User uploaded file

To put your iPhone in Silent mode, move the switch so that orange is showing.

See the full article here:
How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Why does my phone still ring on mute?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.