Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’m locked out of my Mac book air

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:12 PM

You might be able to reset your admin password using your Apple ID > Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

2 replies

Mar 13, 2018 6:57 PM in response to eddiefromhopewell

If you haven't set a firmware password on your Mac, you can use the Password Reset Assistant in Recovery Mode to reset your password.

Boot Recovery Mode by holding down Command-R while restarting (or turning on) your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear. When the Utilities menu appears, go to the top menu bar, then click on Utilities. Choose Terminal from the dropdown list. Execute this command:

resetpassword

The Password Reset Assistant should appear, and you'll be guided through the steps of resetting your password for your user account. If FileVault is enabled, you'll be able to use your Apple ID to reset your user account password if you stored your recovery key in iCloud. Otherwise, you'll be sent back to the FileVault login screen to enter your recovery key.

When you're prompted that your login keychain couldn't be unlocked, click Create New Keychain.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.