Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: email account compromised - Apple keeps locking my account

I recently started getting multiple emails a day saying "Sign-in attempt was blocked for your linked account" . These are obviously fraudulent and I don't respond to them, but the problem is that Apple keeps locking icloud account and I have to unlock it and change my password every other day or so. Can't Apple just ignore these fraudulent attempts to sign into my account without locking it? Do I have to change my Apple ID to avoid these attempts?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 6:22 PM in response to danbranan In response to danbranan

Hi,

Do not rush to change your Apple ID. Talk to Apple first. Apple ID - Official Apple Support

Also, you can create filters for junk mail in Mail Preferences / Junk mail. Tick the box for Perform custom actions, and then Advanced and set your filters.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 12, 2018 6:04 PM in response to 2000CAD In response to 2000CAD

That's not the issue. I know how to unlock the account, but I'm tired of doing it every other day.

I just don't understand why Apple can't filter these IP addresses that are constantly trying to hack into my account without making me go through the pain of resetting my password every other day.

Mar 12, 2018 6:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 6:15 PM in response to 2000CAD In response to 2000CAD

Not really. An address can be targeted by hackers anytime. So we're just supposed to keep changing addresses every time a hacker targets us? That's like moving to a different house every time there's a robbery. I have excellent password security: 24 random characters that I change at least once per year. I've never actually had an account hacked, and it hasn't been hacked this time, either. If it was just the fraudulent emails, I could ignore them, but Apple's ham-fisted action of locking my account just because someone is trying to hack into it is ridiculous. Do websites change their URL whenever a hacker tries to break into it? No - they filter for fraudulent IP addresses, etc. Apple should provide the same service instead of their current approach which only inconveniences its users.

Mar 12, 2018 6:15 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 6:22 PM in response to danbranan In response to danbranan

Hi,

Do not rush to change your Apple ID. Talk to Apple first. Apple ID - Official Apple Support

Also, you can create filters for junk mail in Mail Preferences / Junk mail. Tick the box for Perform custom actions, and then Advanced and set your filters.

Mar 12, 2018 6:22 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 13, 2018 12:46 PM in response to danbranan In response to danbranan

Consider a name change so the hackers won't know your Apple ID.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Mar 13, 2018 12:46 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: danbranan

Question: email account compromised - Apple keeps locking my account