Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Settings Secured

I am unsure how the DNS or the ipv4 address setting to set for the most secured network possible I have an iPhone 6S+ , a MacBook and an iPad Air 2 I like to set them all can someone help me please

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 6:54 PM

7 replies

Mar 12, 2018 7:37 PM in response to DanEDopes

You can call your provider or You can configure your router yourself to use WPA2 if its not already set to use it. Most recent routers use it now by default.

If your accounts are getting compromised its unlikely securing your network will do much to prevent it.

Why do you think they are getting compromised? What exactly is happening?

You can protect your Apple ID with Two-Factor Authentication to make it harder to compromise:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for your Apple ID designed to ensure that you're the only person who can access your account, even if someone knows your password.

Other services may have other ways of protecting your accounts.

Mar 12, 2018 7:11 PM in response to DanEDopes

IPs and DNS have no bearing on security really.

DNS or domain name server, is the computer or server used to translate text url addresses to IP addresses.

For example a DNS translates "www.google.com" to 127.217.5.174. So it can send requests to it.

Generally the DNS is provided by your ISP and is automatically used, though can use other public ones like Google's or OpenDNS etc... My configuring them directly in your Router settings, or even on your computer. But there's no security benefit to this in reality.

The IP address is just how your computer identifies to other computers on the network and is controlled by your router generally. But one IP address is no more secure than another.

If you want to make your network secure, the best option is to use WPA2 encryption for the wireless connection, and use a router with a firewall. Most modern routers have one built in.

A Firewall can be set to close down ports and deny connections to computers inside the network from outside the network.

Mar 12, 2018 7:29 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for you fast response so I should communicate with the setting of my network provider to link a secured setting using The WPA2 encryption setting ... I’m always having security break down with my accounts I’ve changed passwords added two step verification but I still experience a compromise I don’t know what more I can do I am gonna do the setting but iis their anything more you can suggest to securing my devices accounts and networks ?

Mar 12, 2018 8:06 PM in response to Phil0124

I keep noticing my setting are always changed without my permission, I find settings set to allow unknown devices to have access my ad setting have sites blocked, activity browsing inconsistent with what I personally did, my devices show reports of locations histories to places I wasn’t, my financial account showed log ins all over the country and other countries, transactions to Microsoft made I didn’t receive notifications they were turned off, but setting were in place to autopay account I didn’t set, emails go missing, and creditors and monitoring accounts report my account were used in the dark web in my google my outlook and yahoo, my MacBook network setting crashed but still can receive internet... I feel I have no security what so ever.... this is all I found out I still haven’t gone through ever

Mar 13, 2018 10:21 AM in response to DanEDopes

You need to seek out expert help.

If you are the do-it-yourself type of person, you need to restore all your devices to factory settings. First back up your data. Add back your applications. I re-install for the source. To be safest, you should only use apps out of the app store. If you need more, you could list the apps you need and we could comment on the reliability of them. Restore your data.

For your mac, you could run etrecheck and malware bytes. You would post the results of etrecheck here.

as for dns settings, you could change to google's dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. There have been compromised dns servers. Google's should be safe.

R

Network Settings Secured

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.