Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will there be new Mac Mini?

Will there be new Mac Mini for 2018? I want to buy the latest one (2014 version) but very hard to find in my country Indonesia. Is it available in Singapore or Sydney? I may have upcoming trip to those cities.

Cheers

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 2:35 AM

27 replies

Mar 15, 2018 10:40 AM in response to Limnos

Will there be new Mac Mini for 2018? I want to buy the latest one (2014 version) but very hard to find in my country Indonesia. Is it available in Singapore or Sydney? I may have upcoming trip to those cities.

Cheers

[Edited] There's quotation marks now.

Where do you see any quotation marks?

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 10:57 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

I'm talking about the OP's response to my response, woodmeister50's quote is not related.

Am I missing something? As far as I can see the OP has not made a single post after the initial one.

The first and only real quotation made was woodmeisters's. It lacked attribution but seemed to be quoting an Apple source. I then searched online for the quote and found a dozen hits, but all from bloggers talking about a reputed email from Time Cook. So what appeared initially to be an authoritative quote still isn't an official release statement.

Mar 16, 2018 4:48 AM in response to Limnos

Craig Federighi has also in a form or another stated the same

"company line" in various interviews over the last year.

It doesn't mean there will be a new Mini nor does it mean the Mini

is dead. The statement actually says nothing at all in my opinion.

I was just stating the only information that was available about a new Mini

which is basically nothing. So we are still all in the dark.

Mar 16, 2018 7:10 AM in response to Lanny

Whoaa my question turned out responded by many people 😼. Thank you all anyway for responding. I just want to know whether Mac Mini is still available in other cities/countries. Because somehow all stores/authorized sellers in Indonesia don’t have Mac Mini in their inventories. My 2012 11’ Macbook Air was suddenly dead (the Apple service center said the logic board need to be replaced as well as the SSD) and the replacement parts costs around $1500 which makes no sense to me to repair it. That’s why I want to buy Mini which costs less and better than my old Air.

Cheers

Mar 21, 2018 7:01 AM in response to fred_onmac

I would give it up for a "Mac Mini Pro" as long as it didn't resemble a coffee can. 😼

My vision has the same basic foot-print, only perhaps a little thicker or longer. It would have 4-8 core options, 4GB VRAM graphics, a user accessible PCIe slot and SSD bay, 4 user accessible RAM slots, plus retain some USB 3.0, Thunderbolt and HDMI ports, so that people do not have to daisy chain adapters to plug in external devices.

😝

Mar 21, 2018 7:16 AM in response to den.thed

@den.thed ... in your requirement listing (oops, right word?) you have forgotten:

- second drive bay for second hard disk. The ability to do internal disk mirroring is essential for "pro computers".

- not essential, but nice feature would be internal blueray burner with 4k ability.

- cores, cores, cores... much much more than 4-8 cores. For my software cores are more important than raw speed.

Ahem, some apple official rumoured about a new modular mac pro this year. Hmmm, maybe he talked about such a "modular mac mini pro" (Just kidding. Hope and dreams die at last)

greetings from germany

Chris

Mar 21, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Christian Stueben

Opp's your right, I left out the s's after PCIe slots and SSD bays

Ideally it does not have to compete with or compare in power to the Mac Pro or new iMac Pro. It just needs to be where it belongs, which is somewhere in-between the current base model Mac Mini and the older Mac Pro's.

Come on please, it can not be that hard to design something in the middle of the road with empty slots and bays. Then only install a small PCIe and minimal RAM to save on hardware cost and let the user upgrade the Mac Mini from that point.

Mar 21, 2018 12:53 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

Come on please, it can not be that hard to design something in the middle of the road with empty slots and bays. Then only install a small PCIe and minimal RAM to save on hardware cost and let the user upgrade the Mac Mini from that point.

That's because all the effort is being put into

"disposable" gadgets that people will upgrade

every year or two.

How many people upgrade desktops every year or two?

Mar 22, 2018 12:16 AM in response to woodmeister50

> "disposable" gadgets that people will upgrade every year or two.

Disposable gadget? Oh no, please noooooo!

My desktop is a 8 year old machine (mac pro 2010 / 5.1), my webserver is a mac mini 2.1 from 2007. Both rock solid and in perfect working condition.

And i still have a power mac g4, the gray tower with 350 mhz. Running 10.3.9, my wife used this machine till 2016 as email machine. The case is lightly damaged, but still working perfectly.

Dispose them? Throw away perfect workhorses? NEVER NEVER NEVER.

The only thing i had to dispose has been the optical drive of the mini. It died in the first year. Replaced by warranty, no problems since.

Hmmm, the modern apple laptops are disposable, due to the fact that all components are glued welded riveted together to a monolithic block even gods cannot disassemble.

greetings from germany

Chris

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.