Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro GPU upgrage

Hello anybody upgraded a 2010 Mac Pro grahics Card recently. My GTX 120 is not cutting it anymore since High Sierra. App like Logic X 4,1 and Findl Cut 4. There’s lots of videos blogs posts but few on the current 2018 GPUs I can fine on the subject. I am looking at Radeon RX series 550 560 and the Nvidia GTX 1050i, which appears to have drivers for High Seirra latest. Anybody upgraded recently I would love to Hest from. Or it’s buy one of each and test them ?

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 3:55 AM

3 replies

Mar 13, 2018 8:13 AM in response to sg335

At this writing, NVIDIA has been really late in providing Drivers for NVIDIA cards in High Sierra up to 10.13.3. The provided Drives are very slow compared to drivers in previous versions. You cannot accurately evaluate graphics performance until MacOS is providing better support for NVIDIA cards.

Some Readers got a little bit better results by downloading CUDA and Drivers from NVIDIA. Many say these are a little better, but still not up to par with Sierra and previous versions.

Mar 13, 2018 8:16 AM in response to sg335

Back in the summer (June 2017) I upgraded my macpro5,1 to a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, from an older Radeon 5870 1GB. I saw major improvement in both Premiere Pro and Final Cut X. I don't use Logic so I have no bench mark there.

I looked at some of the new Radeon cards, but really wanted the CUDA performance for other applications. So far so good!

2010 Mac Pro GPU upgrage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.