Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Switch to English UK High Sierra

High Sierra is displaying US spelling in the interface. I have set Language & Region to English (UK), but the OS still uses US spelling… Is there a new setting in HS to correct this?

macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 13, 2018 5:07 AM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

Thanks… but I already have (only) British listed. The OS is still showing 'customize', US English. The auto spell IS trying to correct this though, when typing. It also says 'Trash', not 'Bin', but I know that was sadly scrapped in an earlier OSX version. Even though no one in the UK puts out the trash…

Mar 13, 2018 5:07 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 5:58 AM in response to Nathan Jones2 In response to Nathan Jones2

Nathan Jones2 wrote:

High Sierra is displaying US spelling in the interface. I have set Language & Region to English (UK), but the OS still uses US spelling… Is there a new setting in HS to correct this?

The interface has not been localized for UK spelling yet, except I think for the app iTunes.

Mar 13, 2018 5:58 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 6:25 AM in response to Nathan Jones2 In response to Nathan Jones2

You can see, if an application has support for a language, if you open the package of the application with "Show Package Contents".

The Finder has support for UK English, for example: In the Resources is a uk.lproj with strings for UK English.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/uk.lproj/

User uploaded file

Mar 13, 2018 6:25 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 6:30 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

The issue is with the whole High Sierra OS itself! It is not localising. It seems with each upgrade, Apple forgets more and more. The Address Book stopped correctly formatting UK phone numbers (or allowing manually formatted numbers) in Mac OSX Tiger version, or thereabouts. Despite enormous feedback, they never fixed this in ten years. The Bin also turned to 'Trash'.

Mar 13, 2018 6:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Nathan Jones2 In response to Nathan Jones2

Nathan Jones2 wrote:

Can you reference that information? Do you have link? Seems a bit odd.

The tech specs for High Sierra mention only "English" on the localization list. If there were one with UK English spellings, it would normally be listed separately.

Usually I try to test by checking whether any app other than iTunes has WIndow > Minimise instead of Window > Minimize.

Mar 13, 2018 7:55 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 8:05 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

léonie wrote:

You can see, if an application has support for a language, if you open the package of the application with "Show Package Contents".

The Finder has support for UK English, for example: In the Resources is a uk.lproj with strings for UK English.

Have you looked at any of the strings? I tried a couple and they don't actually have UK english. Perhaps I got the wrong ones.

Mar 13, 2018 8:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 8:29 AM in response to Nathan Jones2 In response to Nathan Jones2

Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are talking about. Is it spellcheck? If so, then you have to make sure that system preferences/keyboard/text/spelling is set to uk english and not "automatic". Then possibly the same for each app in Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar.

Mar 13, 2018 8:29 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Nathan Jones2

Question: Switch to English UK High Sierra