Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch to English UK High Sierra

High Sierra is displaying US spelling in the interface. I have set Language & Region to English (UK), but the OS still uses US spelling… Is there a new setting in HS to correct this?

macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 4:50 AM

Similar questions

29 replies

Mar 13, 2018 10:09 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

Nathan Jones2 wrote:

Yes, it is the only application that is spelled correctly!

Then your MacOS is behaving normally. Apple does not yet provide a set of menus and dialogues with UK spellings for MacOS, except for the iTunes app, as far as I know. There are a hundred or so languages you can put at the top of the list in system prefs/language & region, but only the 35 listed in the tech specs (where English = US English) have the menus/dialogues translated. A lot more languages are supported for time/date display only.

To ask Apple to add UK English localization, which does seem long overdue, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Mar 13, 2018 6:30 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

The issue is with the whole High Sierra OS itself! It is not localising. It seems with each upgrade, Apple forgets more and more. The Address Book stopped correctly formatting UK phone numbers (or allowing manually formatted numbers) in Mac OSX Tiger version, or thereabouts. Despite enormous feedback, they never fixed this in ten years. The Bin also turned to 'Trash'.

Mar 13, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

Nathan Jones2 wrote:

Can you reference that information? Do you have link? Seems a bit odd.

The tech specs for High Sierra mention only "English" on the localization list. If there were one with UK English spellings, it would normally be listed separately.

Usually I try to test by checking whether any app other than iTunes has WIndow > Minimise instead of Window > Minimize.

Mar 13, 2018 8:05 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

You can see, if an application has support for a language, if you open the package of the application with "Show Package Contents".

The Finder has support for UK English, for example: In the Resources is a uk.lproj with strings for UK English.

Have you looked at any of the strings? I tried a couple and they don't actually have UK english. Perhaps I got the wrong ones.

Mar 13, 2018 11:47 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

Nathan Jones2 wrote:

There has always been an en gb option. ....

It's a clear issue if Apple's own UK itunes version can spell/localise it correctly, but not the Finder.

There have always been lots of language options not reflected in menu translations.

A good question is why there is one app which does have British English menus when the rest do not. One possibility is that this is because Apple created iTunes for both Windows and Mac, so they made sure it would display correctly on en-gb localized windows systems and just copied the necessary strings into the Mac version. I think iTunes got this feature back on 2009.

Switch to English UK High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.