Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: how do you get a home video created in 2009 with .mov format play in Quick Time

A home video created in 2009 using a .mov format will not play in current Quick Time software. Any ideas?

Jerry

Mac Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.4), 4g Ram

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 13, 2018 9:30 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk In response to QuickTimeKirk

Downloaded the VLC player and opened the video. Picture was great but no sound. The VLC player crashed 3 times while I was using it. Checked for updates but there were none. Using OS High Sierra ver. 10.13.3 on an iMac Pro.

Jerry

Mar 13, 2018 9:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 9:34 AM in response to kylake In response to kylake

See if you can find an older version of VLC. VLC 3 was just released and I found it somewhat buggy. I had kept the older version so I am back to using that.

.mov can host a number of different codecs and it may be your audio codec is unsupported. That's unusual with VLC but not impossible. Also check there is even audio with the video. Try a utility such as InvisorLite or MediaInfo to see if there is an audio track and which codec it uses.

Mar 13, 2018 9:34 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 11:30 AM in response to Limnos In response to Limnos

Downloaded "MediaInfo" and found a sound track on the video in question. Also discovered that the video was processed on a PC and formatted for .mov using Quick Time for the PC. So my question now is how do you convert a PC version of a .mov video to a Mac version?

Jerry

Mar 13, 2018 11:30 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: kylake

Question: how do you get a home video created in 2009 with .mov format play in Quick Time