Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo album transfer

My iPhone was damaged during recent trip to Galapagos and it was my only camera. However, kind friends offered me their own photos on camera cards.

I transferred most of them to my iPad Mini 4 using a card connector.

I also moved a few photos from a friend’s iPhone onto my iPad by Airdrop.

I then spent some time on the trip organising the the photos into albums on the iPad.

When I got home and opened Photos on my MacBookPro the only albums that appeared were those made from Air Dropped photos.

None of the albums created from photos added by card connector have appeared although the photos themselves are there.

Both the MBP (OS v10.13.3) and the iPad (iOS 11.2.6) have iCloud Photo Library turned ON.

Is there any way I can get the missing albums to synchronise from iPad to MBP? - (they took a long time to organise!)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 8:45 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 14, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Meg Huby

Thank you for clarifying that for us, Meg. It's appreciated! Since the albums were uploaded to iCloud Photo Library, I'll have you focus on the iPad mini.

Organize and find your photos -- Check the Photos application on your iPad to see if the photos are included in the albums you've created. If the photos are not located in the albums, you'll need to add them to the correct album again.

Add to an existing album

On your iPhone, tap Select and tap the photos and videos that you want to add. Tap Add To and choose the album. On your Mac, you can simply drag photos into an album from the Sidebar.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library -- If the photos are in the correct albums on your iPad, turn iCloud Photo Library off for a few moments, then turn it back on. After some time, see if the Photos application on your MacBook Pro has received the updated information as well.

How do I turn off iCloud Photo Library on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photo Library on a single device when you follow these steps:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photo Library.
  • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library.

Let us know how that works when you're able.

Enjoy your day!

Mar 14, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Meg Huby

Hi, Meg.

It appears that you're facing an issue between your iPad mini on iOS 11.2.6 and your MacBook Pro on macOS 10.13.3. Any albums you've created on your iPad through the Photos application aren't syncing to your MacBook Pro. I'm happy to help.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library -- Check icloud.com to see if those albums are syncing from your iPad mini.

Can I see all the photos and videos from my Mac on iCloud.com?

iCloud Photo Library uploads photos and videos from your Mac System Library. Photos and videos that you keep outside of your System Library won't upload or update across your devices.

You might not be able to play MP4 videos with Firefox. Try using a different browser, such as Safari 8 or later or Google Chrome 28 or later.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Mar 14, 2018 9:49 AM in response to rose_10

Thanks Sarah.

I've followed your advice and opened Photos on the MBP using the option key. I have an "Aperture Library" and a "Photos Library".

The latter is designated as the System Photo Library.

After I choose this library, Photos > Preferences and the General tab, the option to Use As System Photo Library is greyed out.

Under Preferences the iCloud tab is ticked for iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing, but not for My Photo Stream.

Can you suggest what I can do next?

As I said above, the photos all seemed to have synced onto teh MBP but not the albums.

Mar 14, 2018 10:22 AM in response to Meg Huby

Thank you for getting back to us with that information, Meg. It's good to know that your MacBook Pro has been set up correctly.

What I'd like for you to do at this point is to sign into iCloud.com from a browser on your Mac, select "Photos", and let me know if you see the albums you created on your iPad there.

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2018 2:08 PM in response to MoonJ.

Now, I checked Photos on the iPad and all of the photos are there and in the correct albums.

So I turned off iCloud on the iPad and left it for a few moments. When I turned it on again a message came up to say that I had insufficient storage space in iCloud!

I upgraded from 50 to 200GB.

A message came up to say that synching would begin once the system had been restored. So I'm leaving it for while to see whether this sorts out the problem.

Watch this space!

Meg

Mar 15, 2018 1:24 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you MoonJ.

I did all the above and upgraded my iCloud storage as explained below.

Now I still have a complete set of photos in albums on the iPad but these are not on the MBP.

Furthermore, I notice that photos I had deleted on the iPad when making the albums are still there on the MBP, even though they should have been deleted from the iCloud photo library.

I decided to try a test. I took 3 new photos with the iPad and made them into a test album on the iPad.

All 3 photos appeared on the MBP but there is no album!

This suggests that the problem is unrelated to the source of the photos on the iPad (my first hypothesis).

And the synching by iCloud is working for the original photos - but not for the albums.

I then deleted one of the 3 new photos on the iPad. It duly disappeared from both Photos and the album it was in on that device.

It did not, however, disappear from the MBP Photos.

These 2 tests suggest that while photos are synched successfully from the iPad to the MBP, album creation and photo deletion are not.

Thank you all for your input so far. Can anyone offer any further suggestions?

This is driving me crazy!

Meg 😕

Mar 15, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Meg Huby

Thank you for getting back to us again, Meg. Since this issue still hasn't resolved, it's time to contact Apple Support.

Apple - Support - Product Selection -- Apple Support will be able to troubleshoot this issue further with you, and they can supply you with all of your service options if needed. After selecting this link, choose "Mac" as the option you need help with.

Have a great day!

photo album transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.