Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to merge two photos libraries

I wish to combine two libraries into one and I don't see any recent answers using

the latest OS

Airport Extreme A1301-OTHER, Other OS, 10.8

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Niel In response to Niel

iCloud Photo Library is the only way to nearly merge libraries (you lose projects) -- Notes on Merging Photos Libraries -- PowerPhotos is not a complete sync - you lose the edit history and have to choose a single version of the photos to merge

LN

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Samoot In response to Samoot

I wish to combine two libraries into one and I don't see any recent answers using

the latest OS

Photos does not have a tool to merge libraries directly on your Mac like Aperture has. iCloud Photo Library is the best option, if you are willing to sign up for enough storage temporarily to upload both libraries to iCloud.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Niel In response to Niel

iCloud Photo Library is the only way to nearly merge libraries (you lose projects) -- Notes on Merging Photos Libraries -- PowerPhotos is not a complete sync - you lose the edit history and have to choose a single version of the photos to merge

LN

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Samoot In response to Samoot

the latest OS

Photos does not have a tool to merge libraries directly on your Mac like Aperture has. iCloud Photo Library is the best option, if you are willing to sign up for enough storage temporarily to upload both libraries to iCloud.

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Thanks for the suggestions but the libraries are large and I am on Satellite and so the cloud is an issue as at times even updates don't come in properly.

SO I will just live with them separate till something efficient comes along.

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 11:49 AM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

It's really complicated.

Thanks for the suggestions but the libraries are large and I am on Satellite and so the cloud is an issue as at times even updates don't come in properly.

Mar 13, 2018 11:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 13, 2018 12:04 PM in response to Samoot In response to Samoot

That is a very good plan.

You could export just your favorites from the smaller library (with File > Export > Export unmodified original) and import them into the library you want to use in future.

Mar 13, 2018 12:04 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Samoot

Question: How to merge two photos libraries