Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Movie Trailer APP for iPad Problem ?

Hi Guys,

I had the older version of iTunes Movie Trailers APP for the iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itunes-movie-trailers/id471966214?mt=8

which had a playing option of either playing in Standard Definition or High Definition. Accidentally I updated this APP to the Version 1.4.4 and I no longer see the option of playing in SD or HD now it is showing no option of playing in SD or HD. Has this feature been taken off ? So by default now which format does it play when I watch a trailer in the APP ? is it the SD Format or HD ?

i am using this APP on an iPad-3 having an iOS 9.3.5 and I can't the iOS further because it is not letting me to.

Can anyone please confirm what version do you guys have ? And if you guys do get an option of playing SD or HD ?

Thanks

iPad, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 10:36 PM

I know the last update was last Nov. 2017. That is STILL not a recent update, though.

What is your obsession/fixation on this SD/HD issue?

What is the issues you are experiencing by not having the option of SD or HD resolution?

What is it about this missing or deleted feature that is bothering you/pushing your buttons?

Are you not getting crystal clear movie trailers when you play these trailers on ALL of your iDevices?

I STILL use an iPad 2, with a non-retina display, and the movie trailer previews still look pretty darn great to my 50 year old eyes!

They look even better on my 12.9 inch retina screen iPad Pro!

What is the major issue here that has you obsessing about this? Really?

I see no point in this post.

All I care about, in this app, is that I am seeing great looking movie trailers. Which I absolutely do!

Jeez!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 10:36 PM in response to augustya

I know the last update was last Nov. 2017. That is STILL not a recent update, though.

What is your obsession/fixation on this SD/HD issue?

What is the issues you are experiencing by not having the option of SD or HD resolution?

What is it about this missing or deleted feature that is bothering you/pushing your buttons?

Are you not getting crystal clear movie trailers when you play these trailers on ALL of your iDevices?

I STILL use an iPad 2, with a non-retina display, and the movie trailer previews still look pretty darn great to my 50 year old eyes!

They look even better on my 12.9 inch retina screen iPad Pro!

What is the major issue here that has you obsessing about this? Really?

I see no point in this post.

All I care about, in this app, is that I am seeing great looking movie trailers. Which I absolutely do!

Jeez!

Mar 13, 2018 11:28 AM in response to augustya

The newest versions of the iTunes Movie Trailers App no longer have an SD or HD option.

Whatever the resolution it plays at is the resolution it is.

I noticed the black bars on the top and bottom of the iPad's screen.

This would indicate the movie trailers are being presented in HD, as the default/ONLY resolution.

If you want the movie trailer preview to fill the entire iPad screen, when you start the trailer the player has a screen expander button in the upper right of the timeline/playback line.

I believe this button, while it will fill the screen, does cut off/crop off the ends of the movie preview, though.

Mar 13, 2018 12:08 PM in response to MichelPM

No the Black Bars that you are talking about were there even earlier aswell when they would play in the SD or HD format so they have always been there. Do you know now, the current default format that they play, what format is that in ? is there any way to find that out ? Did you give it a try if you have a current iPad Pro running iOS 11? it is a free APP do you see the option for SD or HD in that APP ?

Mar 13, 2018 12:15 PM in response to augustya

No.

Like I stated, I looked at the iTunes Movie Trailers app on both my iPad 2 and my 1st gen, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro and they are both the same app.

No SD or HD options.

What does it matter to you what resolution these movie trailers play in?

The trailers play and look perfectly fine on my iPad Pro and my iPad 2.

That’s all that matters to me.

Mar 13, 2018 12:37 PM in response to MichelPM

Like you would have gathered by now I am really repenting the fact that I hosted the APP to the current version, Inwoukd be sulking about th fact that in lost the option to play in full HD it does

Male an differ eve in terms of watching in full HD versus SD so it does matter. So when you checked this APP on your 12.9" iPad Pro you are saying you did no get the option to play it in SD or HD it is not giving you that option. What iOS is your 12.9" running on ?

Mar 13, 2018 12:57 PM in response to augustya

I am running the current iOS.

The version of the iTunes Movie Trailer app has NOT changed or has been recently updated.

The minimum iOS version is still iOS 9 and later iOS versions.

It's still version 1.4.4 and this version runs on both my iPad 2 AND my iPad Pro on iOS 11.

I see no difference in this app on either iOS versions.

Mar 13, 2018 9:49 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

The version of the iTunes Movie Trailer app has NOT changed or has been recently updated.

The Version of iTunes Movie Trailers App was changed in November-2017 if you go through the Version History on the APP page, and I was using an older version which dates back even earlier than that, and like I said before it did have an option to select if you wanna see it in SD or HD in the older version the one which I was using.

MichelPM wrote:

The minimum iOS version is still iOS 9 and later iOS versions.

Exactly my point, I was breaking head over heels explaining someone at Apple Tech Support and she was just going on and on explaining me that since I am on iOS 9.3.5 could be one of the reason that I am no longer seeing that option ? They are saying that since there has been a version update to this APP and now it is only compatible with the latest version of iOS certain features are gonna be taken away and certain are added, but no where in the version history does it mention that the SD or HD feature will not work on iOS 9.3.5 like you found out, the minimum iOS requirement for this APP is iOS 9 which is also what I tried to explain her !! It is a free APP and it is developed by Apple. Surprisingly there is no email anywhere on the APP page, to send an email to the developers of this APP and ask them, which normally all third part app developers put their email, shocking Apple is not following its own set best practices.

MichelPM wrote:

It's still version 1.4.4 and this version runs on both my iPad 2 AND my iPad Pro on iOS 11.

It has been Version 1.4.4 only since November-2017 not before that, and I was using an older version, I just updated Yesterday to 1.4.4 even if it was released in November-2017

MichelPM wrote:

I see no difference in this app on either iOS versions.

You would only see the difference had you had, the older version which had the Playback option of Playing in SD or HD. I have had this APP since 5 years, believe me it was different earlier.

Mar 14, 2018 6:23 PM in response to augustya

If the previews look good (not a little grainy or a little pixelated ) chances are these are probably presented in HD.

Why would Apple update this app only to degrade the quality of the previews presented in this app?

They wouldn't.

This is your issue.

If you think you are watching these previews, now, in SD and not HD, this is your problem and not a problem with the app.

If you think you are not getting top quality previews, ON AN IPAD, then stop using the app!

Get over this.

I am done with this post.

iTunes Movie Trailer APP for iPad Problem ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.