Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaunchAgent quarantine file

Hi,

As I was cleaning logs and caches from my user library, I unintentionally deleted a quarantine file. As I remember, the file was named "LaunchAgentQuarantine..." or something like that, I'm not quite sure. I immediately ran Disk Utility to check if the file system was ok, and it return no error. Still, I would like to know if this deletion will do some kind of damage to my computer or undermine security settings.

Thank you,

Best regard to all

G.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Apple Store, Troubleshooting, Other

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 7:59 PM

Most likely it will be recreated the next time it is needed. Don't know if rebuilding the launch services database will restore it but it doesn't hurt to try.

Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt paste in the following command in its entirety:

find /System/Library/Frameworks -type f -name "lsregister" -exec {} -kill -seed -r \;

Press RETURN. Wait for the Terminal prompt to return after which you can quit the Terminal.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 7:59 PM in response to Grandel

Most likely it will be recreated the next time it is needed. Don't know if rebuilding the launch services database will restore it but it doesn't hurt to try.

Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt paste in the following command in its entirety:

find /System/Library/Frameworks -type f -name "lsregister" -exec {} -kill -seed -r \;

Press RETURN. Wait for the Terminal prompt to return after which you can quit the Terminal.

Mar 13, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Kappy

I forgot to say that it contained some information about two large PDF files that I downloaded from an official governament webpage and an overview of an application that I downloaded a few years ago from the internet but already deleted because it became useless overtime. It was not from the Apple Store but from an identified developer.

Mar 13, 2018 3:55 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, that was the one, I'm sorry, I mixed up the names 😝 So I logged in into another account (family account) and found an identical file in that directory. I guess these files are really essencial aren't they? What shall I do if the file is lost forever in my main account? (it is an administrator account).

Thank you.

LaunchAgent quarantine file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.