Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move my iCloud self generated mailboxes to Mail on my Mac?

After upgrading to MacOS Sierra (and having to rebuild my gmail account) the Mail program on my iMac (OS10.12.6) lost my self generated iCloud mailboxes. The mailboxes are still available on iCloud. How do I get them to appear on the iMac again? I have tried the plus icon next to iCloud in Mail. This prompts me to add a mailbox. When I try to add one of the mailboxes that doesn't show up, it says I can't add it as it already exists. Time machine needs the folder you want to be restored to be open. Since the folder is gone this doesn't work. Looking forward to help.

iMac, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 1:37 PM

If you are referring to mailboxes that you create under the Folders heading in iCloud, then these should show up in the Mail app on your Mac if you are logged in with the same Apple ID.

They would appear under iCloud in the left-side window of the Mail app. In the example below, I only have to named folders under Folders in iCloud Mail, Deleted Items and Sent Items. Here they are in the Mail app on my Mac mini.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 1:37 PM in response to susanofmalibu

If you are referring to mailboxes that you create under the Folders heading in iCloud, then these should show up in the Mail app on your Mac if you are logged in with the same Apple ID.

They would appear under iCloud in the left-side window of the Mail app. In the example below, I only have to named folders under Folders in iCloud Mail, Deleted Items and Sent Items. Here they are in the Mail app on my Mac mini.

User uploaded file

Mar 22, 2018 9:54 AM in response to susanofmalibu

For each email account that you set up in the Mail app, the app will create a link to it any any folders that email account uses. I provided you an example from my iCloud email account. You don't directly create these, they are created when the Mail app successfully links to any email account. For example, what you would see for a Gmail account would be different than what you would see for Outlook, Yahoo, etc. Basically the only email mailboxes that would be common would be things like the Inbox, Sent, Junk, & Trash.

So, depending on which email account you are having issues with, I would suggest that you remove, and then, re-add it back to the Mail app and let the app "rebuild" the mailbox folders that it finds associated to that account.

How to move my iCloud self generated mailboxes to Mail on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.