Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple monitors

I am trying to connect two HP P223 monitors to a Mac Book Pro OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.16

I bought a Mini display port VGA, HDMI, DVI, DP 4 in 1 Adapter and I also have a Mini Display port to VGA port.

I tried to connect the Mini Display port to VGA port (which is fine for one monitor) then connect the DP to each monitor (thinking that would work but it did not), connected the DP and VGA into the 4 in 1 adapter which also did not work. I am lost as to what to do or if this will even work. The system does not detect the other monitor....and there is no button for detection...Please help.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 1:56 PM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2018 10:10 AM in response to AlexMed123

That model MacBook Pro supports its built-in screen at 1440 by 900.

It also contains Hardware to support ONE external Mini DisplayPort display at up to 2560 by 1600. Both internal display and external display can be used at the same time, and can be concatenated along ANY edge to create an "Extended Desktop".

Converting the Mini DisplayPort to VGA is nonsense -- it only serves to degrade the display quality and refresh rate. A [Mini] DisplayPort to [Full Size] DisplayPort cable should not be expensive because it is just a re-wire, no electronics inside.

To add a second external display, (which will NOT have graphics acceleration, and will be a bit slow to update) add-on solutions require two parts:

• the obvious stuntbox with some sort of display output connector. These usually connect via USB or some other data port.

• the required software that creates and manages a "software Display Buffer", and sends it out to the stuntbox, such as the built-in Drivers for your external box, which may already include third-party software such as DisplayLink software.

this is an example:

NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 to DVI, VGA, HDMI Video Display Adapter, US$50

multiple monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.