Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit on number of rules in Mail

I have a large number of rules in Mail. All worked OK, but new rules entered are not executed.

Is there perhaps a limit on the number of rules?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:16 AM

Greetings, erikfromvoorburg.

It appears you're having an issue with the Mail application on your iMac. You've created a number of rules, but they don't appear to be working like before. I'm happy to help.

Use rules to manage your inbox -- While there isn't a limit to the number of rules you create, the order in which they appear or rules used a mail server can affect how they're applied. Try rearranging the rules you've created, and check the mail server for rules that could be keeping them from being applied.

If you have multiple rules, they’re applied in the order in which they appear in the list of rules; drag a rule up or down to change the order.

Mail stops applying rules to a message when it encounters the Stop Evaluating Rules action, or when a message is transferred to another mailbox by rules used on a mail server or on a computer or device synced to your computer.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 10:16 AM in response to erikfromvoorburg

Greetings, erikfromvoorburg.

It appears you're having an issue with the Mail application on your iMac. You've created a number of rules, but they don't appear to be working like before. I'm happy to help.

Use rules to manage your inbox -- While there isn't a limit to the number of rules you create, the order in which they appear or rules used a mail server can affect how they're applied. Try rearranging the rules you've created, and check the mail server for rules that could be keeping them from being applied.

If you have multiple rules, they’re applied in the order in which they appear in the list of rules; drag a rule up or down to change the order.

Mail stops applying rules to a message when it encounters the Stop Evaluating Rules action, or when a message is transferred to another mailbox by rules used on a mail server or on a computer or device synced to your computer.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Mar 14, 2018 10:16 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hello MoonJ.

Many thanks for your quick response to my problem. It solved my problem!.

The first rule (although already there for years) includes a Stop Evaluating Rules action. As soon as I deactivated this rule all was working as required.

I've activated the rule again but moved it to the bottom of the list of rules.

Many thanks for your helpful response!

Regards.

Limit on number of rules in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.