Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Cloning BootCamp to new SSD

Classic Mac Pro (5,1) owner here (happy with my 12-cores, 48GBs, and GTX970. Whee!)

I believe I know the answer, but was hoping for confirmation from a voice or two...

In the box, I have multiple physical drives installed. My primary OSX drive is a 500GB SSD. I also have several 500GB spinning drives (7200 RPM, SATA) installed in the box.

I installed Windows using BootCamp onto one of the 7200RPM SATA drives, with some trial and error, but with ultimate success. Now, I'd like to CLONE that entire drive to a new SSD, in order to speed up the Windows OS.

I was planning to do this through Disk Utility in OSX. My question is: Will this break BootCamp? Or will the machine just simply 'see' the new physical drive as a bootable partition?

Should I use DD in a terminal window instead? Should I use DU from an OSX boot disk? What's the best option for success?

Thanks in advance...

Doug, Western Mass.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

On 2012 and older models, the Hybrid MBR on the disk makes it bootable. On late 2013-2014 models, the disk can be either a Hybrid MBR disk or an EFI installation will work. On 2015 and later Macs, only EFI Boot is supported.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 9:43 AM in response to tvdoug In response to tvdoug

What is the version of Windows? You can use tools like CloneZilla or Winclone to migrate the HDD to the SSD. You can also install Windows on the SSD, and then restore a backup created via Windows Backup/Restore.

Mar 14, 2018 9:43 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 14, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Thanks for the reply. My concern is that the OS X boot camp... architecture? ... wouldn’t recognize the new drive. Is there a list of partitions that boot camp creates? How is a bootable partition (regardless of the os hosted therein) “announced” toOSX?

Mar 14, 2018 9:45 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Mar 15, 2018 4:56 AM in response to tvdoug In response to tvdoug

On 2012 and older models, the Hybrid MBR on the disk makes it bootable. On late 2013-2014 models, the disk can be either a Hybrid MBR disk or an EFI installation will work. On 2015 and later Macs, only EFI Boot is supported.

Mar 15, 2018 4:56 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 15, 2018 9:10 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Appreciate the response. The good news is: I'm not moving to a new computer - just upgrading the physical drive. And, given that it's the same interface (SATA), and that all other hardware will not change, drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Again, thanks!

Mar 15, 2018 9:10 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tvdoug

Question: Cloning BootCamp to new SSD