Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air won’t turn on

Hi! My 11” Macbook Air will not turn on. I closed it last night and it was fine but when i finally opened it back up today, it wont turn on. I press and hold the power button and it makes the reset noise and lights up the screen (still dark though) and i’ve tried everything to get it fixed. It’s relatively new and i just updated to the newest sierra update last night (the night that it happened) if that has anything to do with it. Please help I’m a student and quite literally need this laptop.

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 7:55 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2018 8:24 PM in response to sofiaelena

Troubleshooting Mac Startup or Power Up Problems

What to Do When Your Mac Won't Power Up At All

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Macbook Air won’t turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.