Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worldwide warranty?

Hi,

I bought an Iphone X and my sister bought an Iphone 8 Plus in the United States but we are moving to Brazil soon. Does the warranty on both of these Iphones extend to Brazil? If so, can I go to any authorized store to fix it?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:13 AM

How did you find that? 😕 A search of Apple's site (which we all know isn't the best) doesn't reveal it. Since it is an image it makes me wonder if it is some relic on the site. For that reason I suspect the current versions found using the links I provided earlier are more reliable.

Interestingly, if you select the old iPhone warranty versions you see:

"Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the original country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or replace Apple Products and parts with comparable Apple Product and parts that comply with local standards."

It seems Apple used to warranty iPhones anywhere but now reserves the option to not do so (and presumably frequently exercises that option).

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 11:13 AM in response to y_p_w

How did you find that? 😕 A search of Apple's site (which we all know isn't the best) doesn't reveal it. Since it is an image it makes me wonder if it is some relic on the site. For that reason I suspect the current versions found using the links I provided earlier are more reliable.

Interestingly, if you select the old iPhone warranty versions you see:

"Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the original country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or replace Apple Products and parts with comparable Apple Product and parts that comply with local standards."

It seems Apple used to warranty iPhones anywhere but now reserves the option to not do so (and presumably frequently exercises that option).

Mar 13, 2018 10:23 PM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

And more specifically, portable computers, but not desktops.

Really? I selected US warranty for iMac and got:

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty

I will admit I didn't read it 100% but I did not see a section like the one I quoted earlier about service being limited to the country of purchase.

Everything is kind of pieced together from different sources. You can read the terms of Apple's worldwide warranty but it doesn't specifically mention that iPhones or cellular iPads aren't included. However, I think that's a matter of the warranty terms that are included with the phone itself.

Here's the worldwide warranty terms that mention portable devices. We all know that it doesn't include iPhones, but it's kind of hard to know that if all one does is read these terms in a vacuum.

https://store.apple.com/Catalog/Images/worldwidewarranty.html

OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE

Please access and review the online help resources referred to in the documentation accompanying this hardware product before requesting warranty service. If the product is still not functioning properly after making use of these resources, please contact the Apple representatives or, if applicable, an Apple Authorised Service Provider located using the information provided in the documentation. An Apple representative or Apple Authorised Service Provider will help determine whether your product requires service and, if it does, will inform you how Apple will provide it. Apple or its Apple Authorised Service Providers will provide warranty service on products that are tendered or presented for service during the Warranty Period, as permitted by law. If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide. However, service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. If the product is not portable, warranty service may be restricted to the country where the product is purchased. Service options, parts availability and response times will vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service. Please refer to the accompanying documentation for more details on this and other matters on obtaining warranty service.

Mar 14, 2018 11:17 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

Just a search for "Apple worldwide warranty". But yeah there have been so many different warranty terms over the years that it's rather hard to keep straight.

I think this might be the best place to check for warranty terms based on when it was bought and what product:

Legal - Hardware Warranties - Apple

It seems to be specific down to the product, model, and location. For example, I found the current English language warranty terms for an iOS devices sold in Canada.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-canada-english.html

But they do mention international service (and limitations). This would be for my MBP (the correct date range has to be selected):

Apple reserves the right to change the method by which Apple may provide warranty service to you, and your Apple Product’s eligibility to receive a particular method of service. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. For international service, Apple may repair or replace Apple Products and parts with comparable Apple Products and parts that comply with local standards.

I'm really not that sure about how old that "Worldwide Warranty" is.

Mar 13, 2018 8:20 PM in response to Kurt Lang

No, there are no worldwide warranties.

Just so it is clear for the original poster, computer warranties are international, not iPhone and iPad warranties.

they would have to be shipped back to the U.S.

Again for clarity, you cannot ship them to Apple in the USA. Apple does not receive or send international shipments. You would have to send them to a friend (who might have to pay import taxes) who would take them to an Apple repair place.

Mar 13, 2018 9:20 PM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

Just so it is clear for the original poster, computer warranties are international, not iPhone and iPad warranties.

And more specifically, portable computers, but not desktops. I think Apple says that it has to be able to operate independently of a power cord.

I believe anything with a cellular antenna wouldn't be part of the worldwide warranty either. So a WiFi iPad is OK, but an cellular iPad isn't. And obviously an iPhone doesn't qualify.

Also - it's not just the warranty, but the ability to get an iPhone serviced at all, including glass replacement or a battery after the warranty period is over. It's not clear whether or not an AASP in Brazil will do that, even if the correct parts are available locally.

Mar 14, 2018 11:07 AM in response to Danielpss

Danielpss wrote:

Well, as far as I understood this paragraph, I will have the warranties for my Iphones in Brazil even though they were bought in the US, right?

By the way, thank you all for your help! 😀

No. It's well known that the worldwide warranty doesn't cover iPhones or anything with a cellular antenna. That was just a side discussion. There are specific warranty terms that apply to iPhones (and some iPads) that generally restrict warranty/servicing to the country of purchase. Apple knows where each iPhone was supposed to be sold, so gray market or phones purchased elsewhere will be identified.

It seems to be tied to the fact that phones are subject to specific telecommunications regulations and that they have to be customized for each country. I'm also not quite sure how it works in the EU.

Worldwide warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.