Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Hanging on boot

Hey Guys

Need some advice.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro (Touchbar)

And today I went to restart as I was having wifi issues.

Problem is, it refuses to boot. It seems to be hanging on 90/95%

I CANNOT get it into safe mode.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:11 AM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2018 10:28 AM in response to GazMor

Sounds like you have FileVault enabled. Are there any other users on your Mac that appear on the FileVault login screen? If so, try logging in as them and see if the system will completely boot.

If you're still not able to log in and boot your Mac, try disabling FileVault from the Recovery partition. (Your startup disk will be decrypted.) Restart your Mac, then do nothing until a message saying that you can use the power button to boot Recovery Mode appears. Force your Mac to power off by holding down Touch ID until your screen goes black. Then, press Touch ID again to boot your Mac into Recovery Mode. The Password Reset Assistant should appear. Choose "My keyboard doesn't work when typing my password to log in". Enter your user account password to turn off FileVault and decrypt your startup disk. Note that you'll need to plug your MacBook into power in order for decryption to be completed. If you were successful, you'll be offered to restart your Mac. Choose Restart, and your Mac should boot the system and take you to the login screen.

You can check on the decryption status by going to Security and Privacy in System Preferences. Once decryption is completed, you can turn on FileVault again if you wish.

Hope this helps!

OSX Hanging on boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.