Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano stolen then recovered but can't prove it's mine

Hi,

My ipod Nano 4th Gen was stolen a few weeks back out of my car and has turned up for sale in a local second hand electronics store. The store has done a full reset on it to sell it on.

I didn't bother reporting the theft and now the store will only deal with me if I can prove it's mine - i.e. compare serial numbers.

I have no record anywhere of its serial number, and it doesn't show up in the Preferences-Devices section in my iTunes. Is there any way of accessing sync history on my computer or any other way of getting the serial number?

Thanks

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 5:01 AM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2018 2:53 AM in response to atdanielsexton

If you still have the original box that the iPod came in, that should have the serial number on the label. Even then, the store may put up a fight. After all, if the thief stole the box instead of the iPod, the thief could then try using the box to claim that the iPod belonged to him/her.

You should ask yourself what makes you so sure that the iPod is yours? If, as you stated, the iPod has had the previous content removed, then there is nothing on it to prove it was yours. Anyone else (who has had their iPod stolen - perhaps by the same thief) could claim the same thing.

Sorry that I can't be the bearer of better news.

iPod Nano stolen then recovered but can't prove it's mine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.