Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i download original photos from iCloud direct into photos app

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 5:25 AM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2018 1:37 AM in response to michaelfromwest parley

saying icloud photo library,but i do not have enough storage

What kind of storage? Does it refer to the iCloud Storage or the storage on your Mac?

Mar 14, 2018 5:52 AM in response to michaelfromwest parley

Create an empty Photos Library and make it your iCloud Photo Library on your Mac - then wait for the photos to download from iCloud Photo Library to your Mac.

See this help page: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/from-icloud-photo-library-phtf5e48489c/ma c

If you use the web interface at www.icloud.com to download the photos, you can only download the previews of the edited versions, not the original RAW files.

Mar 14, 2018 7:59 AM in response to michaelfromwest parley

totally confused now.so where are the original photos

If you have been using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, the originals are indeed in iCloud. Use iCloud Photo Library to store photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

And the most efficient way to download them all would be to use the Photos.app on your Mac to download them from iCloud. Syncing your Photos Library with iCloud will download the RAW originals to your Photos Library. If you use the web interface to download the photos, your RAW files will download as developed JPEGs, not the original RAW files. and it is clumsy to have to click each thumbnail individually while holding down the command key to select all photos.

The problem will be, that you cannot enable your current Photos Library as am iCloud Photo Library, because then first your complete library from the Mac will upload to iCloud before you can download the photos from iCloud. So, if you are not currently using iCloud Photo Library on your Mac, create a new, empty library and let the iCloud Photos download to this library.

Mar 14, 2018 7:30 AM in response to léonie

thanks for your reply

totally confused now.so where are the original photos.i am told by apple that they are in icloud,so if i want the better quality photos ,i have to download them from the cloud.

what i want to do is download them to my photos on my mac. as it stands at he moment i can only download them a few at a time to my desktop then have to import them to photos.

i want to import them direct from cloud to photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.