Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to turn hotspot on and off to tether

I have to turn my iPhone Personal Hotspot off and then back on for it to show up on Macbook Pro to tether. I didn't used to, it used to appear straight away if it was on

I think the issue may have occurred after I plugged in my wife's iPhone via USB to use her tethering once. I have cleared all other similar tether networks, placed my iPhone as the first preferred network. Reset network setting on my iPhone.

Any other ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 8:23 AM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2018 7:54 AM in response to Jaymz

Greetings ​Jaymz,

It seems you need to turn your Personal Hotspot off and back on for it to show on your MacBook Pro to connect with. I can help point you in the right direction from here.

Take a look at the following guide:

Get help with Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Specifically, these steps may help:

Try again after each step.

1. Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on. There are two places to look: Check in Settings > Personal Hotspot. Then check in Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot. If you can't find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless plan supports it.
  2. Switch Internet connections. For example, switch from a Wi-Fi connection to Bluetooth or USB.
  3. Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. Then restart your other device.
  4. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS on your iPhone or iPad and your other device.
  5. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Let us know if you're connecting via Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth if the behavior persists.

Kind regards.

Have to turn hotspot on and off to tether

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.