Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Charging, Degrade Battery Faster?

All batteries degrade over time, but I'm wondering if wireless charging will have any affect on how fast a battery will degrade?

Will putting it on and off the charging base, before full charge, also have a large affect on the battery life?

Thanks!

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:16 AM

All in all, probably not. There are all sorts of little things that affect ultimate battery longevity, including heat (that's the huge battery killer), charge/discharge levels, etc. The user can't really program the iPhone battery management outside of a lower-power mode to reduce power consumption. If that were possible I could see a battery easily lasting 10 years if one could fix it to only operating between a 25% and 75% charge range.

The thing about the wireless charging (really a power source) is that it's not as high-powered an input as a wired power source. USB-A power sources will be limited by the internal charging circuits to 2100 mA or 10.5W at 5V. There's "Fast Charge" from a USB-C power adapter, but there's really no numbers on what the max current is for that. The fastest Qi wireless charging is 7.5W. However, there will likely be additional heat from the conversion from the RF signal to DC current inside the phone. Not sure how much heat that will create though.

But as a practical matter I don't think it's worth worrying about.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 11:16 AM in response to tmlim

All in all, probably not. There are all sorts of little things that affect ultimate battery longevity, including heat (that's the huge battery killer), charge/discharge levels, etc. The user can't really program the iPhone battery management outside of a lower-power mode to reduce power consumption. If that were possible I could see a battery easily lasting 10 years if one could fix it to only operating between a 25% and 75% charge range.

The thing about the wireless charging (really a power source) is that it's not as high-powered an input as a wired power source. USB-A power sources will be limited by the internal charging circuits to 2100 mA or 10.5W at 5V. There's "Fast Charge" from a USB-C power adapter, but there's really no numbers on what the max current is for that. The fastest Qi wireless charging is 7.5W. However, there will likely be additional heat from the conversion from the RF signal to DC current inside the phone. Not sure how much heat that will create though.

But as a practical matter I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Wireless Charging, Degrade Battery Faster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.