Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX effect has adopted a clip

I am trying to apply a raindrop effect to a clip in a project but it seems to have 'adopted' a clip from earlier in the timeline and I can't shake it off. When I do a preview, it shows this wrong clip instead of the one currently selected and if I drag the effect to the clip, it changes that clip to the other one that is stuck to the effect. I have tried trashing the preferences and the cache. How do I fix this?

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 9:11 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 16, 2018 2:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for the suggestion, Luis. I an confirm that if I create a new project with new clips and try to apply the raindrops effect, I still get the same rogue clip replacing the one that is selected.

Here are two screenshots. The first shows the image that I am trying to apply the effect to selected in the timeline. The browser shows the correct image.

The second sreenshot shows what happens when I try to preview the 'raindrops' effect by skimming across the effect thumbnail. If I apply the effect, I get the rogue image instead of the correct one.

The screenshots are full screen on a 27" iMac. The rogue image is being used earlier in the timeline in the original project but it is not in the timeline in the new project that I have just tested. The images are dark and not very clear because they are inside a cave and I am trying to add water ripples to a pool of water on the floor.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 9:32 AM in response to dobrojoe

One other this to try is get a fresh copy of FCP X.

If you are running 10.4, the current version, you can get a new copy of the application by dragging FCP X to the trash (don't empty just yet), go to the App Store, log in and download from the Purchased section.

If you are running an older version, the above procedure will get you 10.4, which you may or may not want.

Mar 15, 2018 3:33 PM in response to dobrojoe

Did you try this in a different project?

If you ake a new project, add some clip and apply the effect, does it work correctly?

If so and the problem is restricted to one project, try this: make a new project, copy and paste the contents of the problem project, and see if the effect will work correctly in the new one. If so, discard the old one.

Mar 16, 2018 2:53 AM in response to dobrojoe

I have to say that it is hard to figure out what is happening from your screenshots.

You have other images connected above the one where you are adding the effect, and the images are not easy to distinguish. What the viewer shows is probably just the "foreground" image, unless it has a special blend mode like "behind" (but then it wouldn't be a foreground, would it?).

Can you post screenshots using a new project, with just some image clearly distinct from the "rogue" one, and the effect applied to that image?

FCPX effect has adopted a clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.