Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K displays compatible with mac mini 2014

I want to purchase a Dell HiDef 4k 28 inch display, Can It work with my mac mini ?

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 12:18 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2018 2:50 PM in response to silverstudio324

Potentially, yes. The Late 2014 Mac mini can support either 3840x2160 @ 30Hz or 4096x2160 @ 24Hz 4K UHD resolutions via it HDMI video port. Whether or not, it will work with this particular display is not guaranteed ... unless someone with this exact combination of devices has already verified that they do. Hopefully, someone that has, will chime in.

Ref:

Mar 15, 2018 9:00 AM in response to silverstudio324

Apple's display is probably better. The big difference is contrast ratio. Labels lie about it. Dell is ok but not great so don't spend a boat load - pay only what a 28" is worth. A 1,000,000:1 on and LED is nowhere near the quality of contrast ratio on a poor quality CRT. This means your pictures may appear "washed out", of lower color quality and THE WORST: if you walk around your (room) the quality drops to the floor. the quality of LED only works at very small angles (if your in front of it and at the right sitting hight. on some you can't even cross your legs without being penalized by strange viewing differences)

I had a 27" Apple display and with all it's greatness it still wasn't as good as an old CRT i'm using right at this moment for viewing pictures or gaming with mac mini. I got a supposedly "great" LED gaming display: returned it next day - it was far worse than Apples.

There are new technologies emerging that solve that "LED horrible contrast ratio" issue, so don't open your wallet for old technology today. View what you buy in a dark area walking around the room. If the screen saver doesn't remain beautiful as you walk around: don't pay "extra" - buy it if it's "on sale" 🙂 return it if you see issues!

Another BIG problem is most all LED (high res) are 60hz. Even old CRT were twice that. It looks "flashy" comparably, and for gaming: it's terrible un-smooth.

Point is: high res is only one feature of a few critical features that make for viewing pleasure. Don't put all your eggs (money) in one basket and get 1 out of 3.

4K displays compatible with mac mini 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.