Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Trackpad Clicking When Opening Lid After Sleep

Hello,

I wanted to run this issue by the community for opinions (other than "call Apple tech support," which I already have.)

The issue: when I open the lid to my 2017 MacBook Pro 15" after being asleep for — let's say a couple/few hours or more — the trackpad is unable to "click" or select. If I press down on the trackpad, the "clicking" noise or haptic feedback is non-existent (I know the click is not actually a click) and if I tap the trackpad to select (which I have enabled) that doesn't work either. Keyboard works, cursor can be moved, and things can be selected (limitedly) via keyboard, but that's about it. I have not been able to figure out how to restart the computer properly from the menu in this situation instead of doing a power-button, hard-restart, or whatever it's called.

Have tried several times to: reset NVRAM/PRAM and SMC; Command-Option-Esc to relaunch finder; closing and opening the lid again; locking the screen via touch-bar and unlocking. But these have had no real results.

A thought: I have been using a thin microfiber cloth sandwiched between the keyboard and screen. I do this begrudgingly because I have noticed tiny scratchmarks when the screen is turned off, against the light, that look like dust, which I think are being caused when the lid is closed and notebook is kept in tight spaces, such as a full laptop bag. Since I have been using the cloth these scratches have not increased in quantity (A separate, rather irksome issue.)

Questions: could the microfiber cloth somehow be impeding the laptop's ability to wake-up from sleep again properly? Any ideas on what could be causing the trackpad issue? Thank you and sorry for the long post.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 15" Mid-2017, 3.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:49 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

No Trackpad Clicking When Opening Lid After Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.