Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Cannot,access iPhoto,after,upgrading,to,Macs,High,Sierra,and,cannot,download,updated,App,for,Photo,,help,please?

Hi, I have recently upgraded my MacBook Air to MacOS High Sierra and my photos seem to be gone. I have tried to download an updated iPhoto App but it is not available in my country (Ireland). Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi Léonie - thanks for your help - I dragged the folder to the photos icon and it started to upload but quit after uploading around 45%. The library is in the Pictures folder and I have successfully reset the permissions and tried to upload again but it quit when upload had reached just over 40%. Niav

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

How did you upgrade to High Sierra? Did you wipe your drive for a clean install and need to restore your iPhoto Library from a backup drive?

Do you perhaps have a different copy of the library on another drive?

Which version of iPhoto is currently in your Applications folder? is it any version of iPhoto '11? Version 9.x.x?

If it is an iPhoto '11 version, contact Apple Support and ask for a redeem code for iPhoto, so you can download iPhoto 9.6.1 from the AppStore. You really need it to be able to repair your iPhoto Library to prepare it for the migration to Photos.

Explain to Apple Support, that the iPhoto library needs to be repaired in iPhoto, because Photos cannot open it.

If there is no chance to obtain the update to iPhoto 9.6.1, even with the help of Apple Support,you can extract the photos from the iPhoto library by opening the package contents of the iPhoto Library:

• Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder and ctrl-click it or right-click it.
  • A Finder window will open and show you the contents of the library. It will depend on the version of iPhoto, how the folders with the images inside the library bundle are named. Look for folders named "Masters" with the original masters files, "Previews" with the previews of the edited versions. In older versions of the library there could be folders name "Original" or "Modified".

You can copy these folders with originals or edited versions out of the iPhoto Library and import them to Photos.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 14, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

The solution is to migrate to the Photos application and learn to use it - Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can use it but it will quit working some day - what version of iPhoto do you have?

LN

Mar 14, 2018 11:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 11:32 AM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

I have tried to download an updated iPhoto App but it is not available in my country (Ireland). Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

"not available in this country" is a bogus error message. Apple is simply no longer selling iPhoto and the updates tab does no longer work.

If you own an iPhoto version, that is associated with your Apple ID at the App Store, because iPhoto came preinstalled on your Mac with MacOS X 10.7 or newer, or you purchased iPhoto from the AppStore, you can probably update iPhoto by reinstalling.

• Check, if iPhoto appears in your purchase history, the fourth tab of the AppStore.
  • If you are seeing iPhoto on the Purchases tab, move the iPhoto.app from the Applications folder to the Trash, but do not empty the Trash.
  • Now relaunch the AppStore and open the Purchases tab. You should be seeing an "Install" button beside iPho. Click it to reinstall. That will install the most recent version of iPhoto.

It will be good to update iPhoto this way, even if you will migrate to Photos or another DAM. Getting iPhoto to work again, will allow you to get your iPhoto Library ship-shape before you migrate to another application. This way, you will be able to repair the iPhoto Library or to fix any issues.

See: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Mar 14, 2018 11:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 11:45 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi Léonie, I was getting excited there for a minute however I checked my purchase history on the App Store and iPhoto is not there and yes it would have been pre-loaded when I bought my Mac so I don't understand why it isn't showing - Keynote, Numbers, Pages etc are all there. Is there any other way of getting iPhoto back and ship shape before migrating as you say? Thankyou. Niav

Mar 14, 2018 11:45 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 11:56 AM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

Perhaps iPhoto is hidden, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

Unhide Mac apps

1. On your Mac, open the App Store.
  2. From the menu at the top of your computer screen, choose Store > View My Account. If prompted, authenticate your Apple ID.
  3. On the Account Information page, scroll to Hidden Items. To the right of Hidden Purchases, click Manage.
    User uploaded file
  4. Find the app that you want to unhide.
  5. Click Unhide, then click Done.

After you click Done, you're taken back to the Purchased page. The unhidden app is again visible in your Purchased list.

If it is not hidden, you will be out of luck. The window of opportunity, to get an AppStore version of iPhoto or update iPhoto '11 to the most recent version, closed, when Photos came out.

Mar 14, 2018 11:56 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 1:15 PM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

Have I really lost all my photos now? Niav

You lost iPhoto, but not your photos. The photos are in your iPhoto Library, and as described by Larry you can migrate your iPhoto Library to the new Photos.app. It is fully compatible with iPhoto.

When you launch photos, it will create a new version of your iPhoto Library. All photos and albums will be there.

How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

If Photos does not find the iPhoto Library (if you moved it from the Pictures folder), you can drag the iPhoto Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. Then it should open in Photos.

Here is a user guide for Photos: Welcome to Photos - Apple Support

I just saw your previous post:

Hi Larry, thanks for replying - I have tried to migrate the photo library but I get a message to say it cannot be opened. I

Where is the iPhoto Library stored? Is it on an external drive or in your Pictures folder?

If it is in your pictures folder, try to repair the permissions on your home folder.

See this document: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Mar 14, 2018 1:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi Léonie - thanks for your help - I dragged the folder to the photos icon and it started to upload but quit after uploading around 45%. The library is in the Pictures folder and I have successfully reset the permissions and tried to upload again but it quit when upload had reached just over 40%. Niav

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM in response to Ineevy In response to Ineevy

How did you upgrade to High Sierra? Did you wipe your drive for a clean install and need to restore your iPhoto Library from a backup drive?

Do you perhaps have a different copy of the library on another drive?

Which version of iPhoto is currently in your Applications folder? is it any version of iPhoto '11? Version 9.x.x?

If it is an iPhoto '11 version, contact Apple Support and ask for a redeem code for iPhoto, so you can download iPhoto 9.6.1 from the AppStore. You really need it to be able to repair your iPhoto Library to prepare it for the migration to Photos.

Explain to Apple Support, that the iPhoto library needs to be repaired in iPhoto, because Photos cannot open it.

If there is no chance to obtain the update to iPhoto 9.6.1, even with the help of Apple Support,you can extract the photos from the iPhoto library by opening the package contents of the iPhoto Library:

• Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder and ctrl-click it or right-click it.
  • A Finder window will open and show you the contents of the library. It will depend on the version of iPhoto, how the folders with the images inside the library bundle are named. Look for folders named "Masters" with the original masters files, "Previews" with the previews of the edited versions. In older versions of the library there could be folders name "Original" or "Modified".

You can copy these folders with originals or edited versions out of the iPhoto Library and import them to Photos.

Mar 15, 2018 3:34 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Ineevy

Question: Cannot,access iPhoto,after,upgrading,to,Macs,High,Sierra,and,cannot,download,updated,App,for,Photo,,help,please?