Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently when trying to backup any of my IPhones with ITunes, the option button is Breyer out and does not allow doing the backup. Synchronization works fine with the rest, but no backup of the iPhones. Any ideas??

Backup troubleshooting for Iphones.

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:26 AM

7 replies

Mar 15, 2018 8:28 AM in response to ramon176

Hi there, ramon176.

It appears that you're unable to create a back up in iTunes for any of your devices. I'm happy to help.

If your iTunes backup couldn‘t be completed or you can‘t restore from a backup

Try again after each step

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do.
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2018 7:35 AM in response to ramon176

Thank you for getting back to us with that information ramon176. It's appreciated.

Since you've followed the steps that were provided, it's time to contact Apple Support.

Apple - Support - Product Selection -- Apple Support will be able to troubleshoot this issue further with you.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- In the meantime, you can also back up your iOS devices to iCloud to keep your personal information safe.

Cheers!

Mar 17, 2018 2:46 PM in response to CarlAVII

I guess I am in bad luck! Tried disabling the Avast antivirus, uninstalled and reinstalled ITunes, cleaned the registry, and still were not able to backup. The other computer I have is a Microsoft Surface tablet were I installed ITunes and tried to backup, and it did start to work there, but I did not have enough disk capacity to fully backup the phone and got aborted. Could not find a way to make ITunes backup on an external drive neither. Did find out though, that something most be corrupt in my main computer which is not allowing the backup, and do not see a logical reason for that. I have had the Avast antivirus for years now and there were no issues ever until the last few months now. I do not have a large capacity in Icloud neither to hold the phones data. Would this be a normal behavior to other users? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2018 9:21 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hello! For the community's benefit, spent about three hours with Apple support's assistants and nobody was able to figure out what was happening with the Iphones' backup issues on my computer, even with them controlling it remotely. A couple of days later I decided to try to backup the phone using the "Imazing" app used to manage the phones' data. By surprise, it was able to make the full backup with no issues. The surprise was that next day when I opened ITunes it reflected that a backup was done for the phone the day I used the "IMazing" app. No option was still available to do the backup or restore with ITunes. Couple of days later tried the backup again with the app and it worked fine, but not with ITunes. The result seems to be that the IMazing app has taken over the backup routine and will block ITunes from doing it. I have not tried removing the app yet to see if ITunes continues to control the backups because I need the app for access to the phones' data, but at least now we know what the problem is. Good luck to the rest of the community which may be going thru the same difficulties.

Recently when trying to backup any of my IPhones with ITunes, the option button is Breyer out and does not allow doing the backup. Synchronization works fine with the rest, but no backup of the iPhones. Any ideas??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.