Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Permissions on a small office folder

Hi!

I have a small office, with 5 computers. 3 iMacs and 2 Windows.

My iMac (10.13.2) has a shared folder with the other 4 computers.

All computers have a login (user/password) that i have created on my computer. With all i set to read and write files on that folder.

Every time i create a new file on that folder the permissions are set to me (read & write ), staff and everyone (only read), and not to all the other user that i gave permission to. So, the permissions i set previously dont aply to new files?

Every time a user creates a new file on that folder (mine!) i have to set permissions to my self so i can read or write.

I need this: every time i, or the other users, create a new file on that shared folder it comes with inherit permissions that i set to that folder. Is it possible?

If it isn't, is there any kind of software that automatically keeps permissions set to all files in a specific folder?

Thank you.

João B.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Glad you got it working. It is probably a function of the reformatting done to the text on this page. I now see a few other odd things in some of the commands posted, like a space between di and rectory_inherit.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 21, 2018 6:19 AM in response to jbucho In response to jbucho

Create a Group for all the users in Users & Groups.

Use this snippet to add an ACL entry substituting the group name you created for "sharinggroup" and the full path to the shared folder for "path/to/shared/folder"

sudo chmod -R +a "sharinggroup allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,di rectory_inherit" path/to/shared/folder

If you copy to a text editor to change the group name and path, you'll need to make sure the text editor doesn't substitute smart quotes for the plain quotes.

Apr 4, 2018 4:20 AM in response to jbucho In response to jbucho

I imagine it is the extra colon you threw into the ACL.

Additionally, the code you posted contains "smart" quotes. That may be a function of posting it to the forum here. If you edited the command in a text editor, you need to remove the smart quotes and use straight quotes.

Also, it is not a good idea to share out a folder in you user home. Share a folder in /Users/Shared, instead.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 21, 2018 6:19 AM in response to jbucho In response to jbucho

Create a Group for all the users in Users & Groups.

Use this snippet to add an ACL entry substituting the group name you created for "sharinggroup" and the full path to the shared folder for "path/to/shared/folder"

sudo chmod -R +a "sharinggroup allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,di rectory_inherit" path/to/shared/folder

If you copy to a text editor to change the group name and path, you'll need to make sure the text editor doesn't substitute smart quotes for the plain quotes.

Mar 21, 2018 6:19 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 21, 2018 6:22 AM in response to Barney-15E In response to Barney-15E

HI Barney, thank you for your help.

The group names is: OCO

So the line becomes:

sudo chmod -R +a “OCO: allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,di rectory_inherit” Macintosh HD/Users/joaobucho/oco

The terminal respondes:

chmod: Unable to translate '“OCO' to a UUID

What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2018 6:22 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 4, 2018 4:20 AM in response to jbucho In response to jbucho

I imagine it is the extra colon you threw into the ACL.

Additionally, the code you posted contains "smart" quotes. That may be a function of posting it to the forum here. If you edited the command in a text editor, you need to remove the smart quotes and use straight quotes.

Also, it is not a good idea to share out a folder in you user home. Share a folder in /Users/Shared, instead.

Apr 4, 2018 4:20 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Apr 4, 2018 4:24 AM in response to Barney-15E In response to Barney-15E

Ok Barney,

i finaly made it, but with a different ACL:

sudo chmod -R +a "group:groupname:allow readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,list,search,add_file,a dd_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /path/to/shared/folder

Thank you any way!

João Bucho

Apr 4, 2018 4:24 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Apr 5, 2018 5:56 AM in response to jbucho In response to jbucho

Glad you got it working. It is probably a function of the reformatting done to the text on this page. I now see a few other odd things in some of the commands posted, like a space between di and rectory_inherit.

Apr 5, 2018 5:56 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: jbucho

Question: Permissions on a small office folder