Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions on a small office folder

Hi!

I have a small office, with 5 computers. 3 iMacs and 2 Windows.

My iMac (10.13.2) has a shared folder with the other 4 computers.

All computers have a login (user/password) that i have created on my computer. With all i set to read and write files on that folder.

Every time i create a new file on that folder the permissions are set to me (read & write ), staff and everyone (only read), and not to all the other user that i gave permission to. So, the permissions i set previously dont aply to new files?

Every time a user creates a new file on that folder (mine!) i have to set permissions to my self so i can read or write.

I need this: every time i, or the other users, create a new file on that shared folder it comes with inherit permissions that i set to that folder. Is it possible?

If it isn't, is there any kind of software that automatically keeps permissions set to all files in a specific folder?

Thank you.

João B.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 5:56 AM

Glad you got it working. It is probably a function of the reformatting done to the text on this page. I now see a few other odd things in some of the commands posted, like a space between di and rectory_inherit.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 21, 2018 6:19 AM in response to jbucho

Create a Group for all the users in Users & Groups.

Use this snippet to add an ACL entry substituting the group name you created for "sharinggroup" and the full path to the shared folder for "path/to/shared/folder"

sudo chmod -R +a "sharinggroup allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,di rectory_inherit" path/to/shared/folder

If you copy to a text editor to change the group name and path, you'll need to make sure the text editor doesn't substitute smart quotes for the plain quotes.

Mar 21, 2018 6:22 AM in response to Barney-15E

HI Barney, thank you for your help.

The group names is: OCO

So the line becomes:

sudo chmod -R +a “OCO: allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,di rectory_inherit” Macintosh HD/Users/joaobucho/oco

The terminal respondes:

chmod: Unable to translate '“OCO' to a UUID

What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

Apr 4, 2018 4:20 AM in response to jbucho

I imagine it is the extra colon you threw into the ACL.

Additionally, the code you posted contains "smart" quotes. That may be a function of posting it to the forum here. If you edited the command in a text editor, you need to remove the smart quotes and use straight quotes.

Also, it is not a good idea to share out a folder in you user home. Share a folder in /Users/Shared, instead.

Permissions on a small office folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.