Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Store has forgotten I’ve bought an album.

Hi,

several years ago, I purchased the soundtrack to Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. I’ve just tried to download it, but iTunes is asking me to pay again. I’ve checked my purchase history and it’s not showing... Ive called Apple and they say that I didn’t buy it, otherwise it would be showing in history.

I’m 100% certain I’ve purchased it, I’ve had this iTunes account since 2009 and never used another email address.

can anyone help?

pleaseeeeee!!

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:13 AM

9 replies

Mar 14, 2018 11:17 AM in response to Matilda.cs

I believe it is possible for an item to be re-catagorized and therefore appear as a different item in the store. You may have had an original release and that has since been pulled and re-released as a re-mastered version, for example.

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple - https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html - "REDOWNLOADS

You may be able to redownload previously acquired Content (“Redownload”) to your devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID (“Associated Devices”). You can see Content types available for Redownload in your Home Country at https://support.apple.com/HT204632. Content may not be available for Redownload if that Content is no longer offered on our Services."

Always download everything and keep multiple backup copies on local storage.

Mar 14, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Matilda.cs

You are sure that it was bought from iTunes, not from another site or from a CD that you added to your iTunes library ? All purchases will continue to show on an account's purchase history (See your purchase history in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support), though they can stop showing in the Purchased redownloading area if you hide them (Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support), or if the rights-holder removes the version from the store, or if you move countries

Mar 14, 2018 11:52 AM in response to Matilda.cs

A year or so ago, I was unable to download the album for free, so Spoke to Apple who changed something at their end, which fixed it. Apple have no record of this conversation.

We have family sharing in my partners name, and I’ve checked her purchases and found that it is now available in her purchases. Although she swears blind that she has never purchased it. I know you’re thinking “I must have bought it in her iTunes instead” but my purchase predates family sharing, and she was always jealous that I had the album, and she didn’t.

I’m wondering if the last time I had issues, the Apple agent may have transferred the purchase from my account to hers... having said that, we can only see individual songs on the album - it doesn’t show the actual album.

Something is not right, but Apple don’t believe me...

I know it looks like human error, and I’m getting it wrong... but that is not the case. I know without doubt, I purchased the album and it’s no longer available to me.

Mar 14, 2018 12:14 PM in response to Matilda.cs

If it shows in her account's purchase history she bought it (or somebody using her account bought it). If the album isn't showing in the Purchased redownloading section (Account > Purchased if using a computer's iTunes ; Purchased tab in the iTunes Store app if using an iOS device) has she actually checked to see if the album is hidden ?

iTunes Store has forgotten I’ve bought an album.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.