Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp gone after last update; can't Open or find it at all.

Why has WhatsApp and other apps gone after being updated?

Last week I updated WhatsApp using AppStore. After that downloaded, it was impossible to open the app. It's on the list of Apps in AppStore, but clicking "Open' does nothing. I can't download it again as the phone knows it's got it. The icon for it has gone from my screen - so I can't even delete the app to re-install it.

This initially happened on my old model 5c - I upgraded to an SE this week (not for that reason!!), and the problem is still exactly the same.

I think it's a virus, since the same thing then happened to Messenger and Facebook app on the new phone,. Has anybody heard of a virus affecting social media apps? All other apps I updated work fine (games, shopping, the AA, mail etc) it's only those 3, and by coincidence they are all social media.

my new phone has IOS 11.2.2. The 5c runs 10.3.3. Both have spare memory.

Any ideas?

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 1:06 PM

No, it's not a virus. Unless your phone is jailbroken it can't get a virus.

To delete the app go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage. You can delete it there.

But you should also go to Settings/General/Restrictions, enter your Restrictions passcode if there is one. Then see if it is blocked (under Apps)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 1:06 PM in response to clairefromkelsall

No, it's not a virus. Unless your phone is jailbroken it can't get a virus.

To delete the app go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage. You can delete it there.

But you should also go to Settings/General/Restrictions, enter your Restrictions passcode if there is one. Then see if it is blocked (under Apps)

Mar 14, 2018 12:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi,

Thanks Lawrence. the first part worked fine, I deleted WhatsApp from the settings. In the Apps Store, however, instead of Get button it shows a cloud+ arrow icon, which probably means it can tell from my iCloud account that I've already got WhatsApp. But when I tap this, nothing happen. Just like the Open button before I deleted it.

I've looked at the restrictions passcode but I don't know what mine is. I can't find any mention of it either in my iCloud account under Security. I don't think WhatsApp was stopped by one, though, since I was using it for months before downloading that last update.

Same thing still for the other social networking apps (Messenger & FB)

Mar 14, 2018 1:14 PM in response to clairefromkelsall

Apps are never saved to your iCloud space. The cloud icon simply means that you have downloaded it before, so it will be free (if it was a paid-for app).

There is no default Restrictions passcode. If there IS a restrictions passcode then a human being enabled it. Most often Restrictions are used to provide a level of parental control, so there is no way to bypass it. (Well, there is, and you can probably find it with carefully constructed Google searches, but it's pretty convoluted.)

As it's all social networking apps it is almost certainly an age-related restriction. Which someone had to set, someone who had possession of your phone when it was unlocked, or who knew your iPhone passcode.

The only way to remove the restriction if you don't know the Restrictions passcode is to restore iOS on the phone and set it up as New, without restoring your backup. You would then have to set up the phone and install all apps over again.

WhatsApp gone after last update; can't Open or find it at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.