Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari prevent all website data storage

How do I prevent any website from storing any of their Website data on my machine?

I have configured Safari as follows:

Website tracking:

Clicked "Prevent cross-site tracking"

Clicked "Ask websites not to track me"

Cookies & Website Data:

Clicked "Block all cookies"

User uploaded file

And yet, I still get websites storing their data. See attached screen shots of websites that stored their data on my machine even if I never visited them, after I simply did a search for "weather" on Google and visited only the Accuweather webpage for my results. I do not want any data stored at all on my Safari MBP device.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Frustrated and concerned

Thank you

Message was edited by: psgh

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Safari

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 12:58 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2018 6:05 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the response.

I was already aware of using Private Windows but I want to keep the History and cache of websites that I visit on purpose for ease of loading/accessing those pages during my work day. On the other hand, having to regularly delete cookies and data on my Safari preferences is time intensive, annoying and confirms our concern that Google and others are tracking us and placing data on our computers. I use Duck Duck Go as a search engine and the data is still added on my Mac

Is there another way to block data being placed on our my machine other than using Private Windows? Safari extension? use a "better" browser? (Chrome is notorious at limiting our privacy preferences)

The link you provided states:

By default, Safari accepts cookies and website data only from websites you visit. This helps prevent certain advertisers from storing data on your Mac.

That doesn't seem to be the case does it?

Thanks again

Mar 15, 2018 8:49 AM in response to psgh

You are welcome. Based on some limited testing I did a couple of years ago, as I posted earlier, if there are links on the web site you visit, you can get extra cookies. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting Google cookies and it seems if I visited a page where Google had links, I ended up with Google cookies.

Safari prevent all website data storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.