Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: I just purchased a charger cable for my Phone. It only has 6 contacts on the Lightning plug instead of 8 (2 are blank on each side) will this damage my Phone?

I just purchased an inexpensive 6 ft charger cable for my iPhone 6S. The Lightning port has only 6 contacts (and not 8 as on my "too short" Apple iPhone charger cable. Will my iPhone be damaged with this charger cable?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

I wouldn't recommend cables that are not MFI certified. Read this aritcle:

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Mar 14, 2018 3:58 PM in response to backyardfarmer In response to backyardfarmer

I wouldn't recommend cables that are not MFI certified. Read this aritcle:

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Mar 14, 2018 3:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 8:06 PM in response to rbrylawski In response to rbrylawski

Definitely not worth it. There are plenty of MFi Lightning cables that are inexpensive. Some non-certified Lightning cables have been known to do things such as completely freeze Mac computers (I speak from experience) as in can't power-up, power-down, or get any response until the battery or power cord is disconnected.

Mar 15, 2018 8:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 8:47 PM in response to deggie In response to deggie

deggie wrote:

How would a Lightning cable power a Mac computer?

It wouldn't. I wasn't using it to power my Mac but to power an iPhone. I connected it to my iPhone on the Lightning end and then my MacBook Pro on the USB-A end to try and sync/charge my phone. My Mac just had the screen go black and nothing was working. The hard drive wasn't spinning, the fan was off, and all attempts to reset SMC or to power-on failed. The MagSafe light wouldn't turn on, and the battery indicator lights wouldn't light up. There was a faint electronic buzzing sound coming from the computer. I tried taking it to an Apple Store without an appointment and they told me to come back when they opened the next morning and get on the waiting list for walk-ins.

When I got it home I just pulled out a #00 Phillips screwdriver, took off the bottom cover (could definitely hear a buzz), and disconnected the battery connector. I pressed the power button for 10 seconds (like an old SMC reset) for good measure. After I reconnected the battery it started up with the power button. It gets into some sort of locked-up state where it can't do anything until the battery connector is pulled. I'm not the only one to have experienced this.

Macbook Pro turned off after pluggin' an usb wire

masakre:

Apple guys solved the problem by discharging the battery, unplug and plug it. Some cheap wires may not work properly, better buy official ones.

CLWolf

Masakre...worked for me. Even went out to buy a TriWing bit, but you don't need one. Just pop back cover off and disconnect battery from logicboard. Wait about 10 seconds, plug it back in, and it's good to go. Fixed both laptops in a span of 5 minutes! Thanks.

I haven't tried using that cable since.

Mar 15, 2018 8:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 8:54 PM in response to y_p_w In response to y_p_w

How long did it take you to make all that up? Even a shorted cable at best might cause a reboot (but usually on an iDevice. But a bad cable on the USB chain is not going to take out the MagSafe cable, battery, etc. I don't recommend using non MFi cables either but you post a lot of misinformation.

Mar 15, 2018 8:54 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 11:30 PM in response to deggie In response to deggie

deggie wrote:

How long did it take you to make all that up? Even a shorted cable at best might cause a reboot (but usually on an iDevice. But a bad cable on the USB chain is not going to take out the MagSafe cable, battery, etc. I don't recommend using non MFi cables either but you post a lot of misinformation.

Now that’s just rude and frankly uncalled for. I know you don’t like my presence on these forums, but it happened exactly the way I described, the same as has been described in this Apple Support Communities topic:

Re: Macbook Pro turned off after pluggin' an usb wire

CLWolf:

This just happened to me. I didn't realize it was the USB cable that did it (third party lightning cable). I then swapped my hdd and put into a different macbook pro we had. Worked fine, until I went to charge my phone. Then same thing, but I didn't even have the phone plugged in. As soon as I plugged in the usb cable, macbook pro turned off, and then the led light on charger got weaker and weaker. Then the LED on charger wouldn't show, and battery LEDs do nothing. Same thing as everyone else. Pulled ram, reset SMC, and am just about to pull the battery to see if that helps. Can't believe this "feature" got me twice in the same day on two different laptops.

And reported in this forum, where this is the mother of all “Unauthorized Lightning cable killed my MBP” discussions. About two dozen of the posts either mention that a 3rd party Lightning cable completely froze a Mac, that disconnecting+reconnecting the battery restored it, and/or a “me too” response. This discussion started well before I owned a MBP.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/156688/macbook-pro-turned-off-after-p lugging-in-iphone-usb-cable

Mar 15, 2018 11:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 12:47 PM in response to deggie In response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I guess this guy made it up too.

My MacBook Pro shut down

I guess it took me 2 months to get my story straight. Or maybe I managed to edit a 2 month old post.

Re: My MacBook Pro shut down

Jan 10, 2018 6:02 PMRe: My MacBook Pro shut downin response to RIvonne

What kind of machine?

It's not that I'd recommend you do it yourself if you're not comfortable, but I can relay what I did.

I had mine just lock up and I couldn't power it up or power it down. I think it might have been because of one non-Apple, non-MFI Lightning cable that I tried. I heard that they sometimes cause these panics where nothing can be done to shut it down until the battery is completely dead or disconnected. I tried all the stuff including the SMC reset. However, it just couldn't get out of whatever loop it was in. It was really weird too with a faint electric hum I could hear. Other than that - nothing. No display, the MagSafe light wouldn't work, and the battery indicator wouldn't light up when pressing the button. When I brought it into my closest Apple Store without an appointment I was told there were no appointments until a week later or I could try to get on a waiting list the next morning. So I took it home, looked up the iFixit instructions for removing the battery connector, and did it myself. Actually not that bad, and now I'm confident enough to swap a drive or change the RAM.

Jan 15, 2018 10:24 AM Re: My MacBook Pro shut downin response to y_p_w

It was more less what happened to my mac, but the fan wasn’t working.

I did have to gently remove my battery as I have to work and got really desperate. It actually worked and is running very well, not using the generic usb anymore only the original one. Did learn my lesson.

Mar 17, 2018 12:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 12:51 PM in response to y_p_w In response to y_p_w

I will agree that a USB port problem can cause a reboot or shut down. But it wouldn't cause a buzzing noise (what was buzzing anyway?) and it shouldn't be necessary to disconnect the battery to get it running again. Having to do that would indicate some other problems with the computer that need to be attended to.

If you read through the threads here the most common symptom of a bad cable will be the iPhone won't charge or goes into recovery mode or an error message in iTunes. You seem to have a lot of problems with all of your Apple gear.

Mar 17, 2018 12:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 2:12 PM in response to deggie In response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I will agree that a USB port problem can cause a reboot or shut down. But it wouldn't cause a buzzing noise (what was buzzing anyway?) and it shouldn't be necessary to disconnect the battery to get it running again. Having to do that would indicate some other problems with the computer that need to be attended to.

If you read through the threads here the most common symptom of a bad cable will be the iPhone won't charge or goes into recovery mode or an error message in iTunes. You seem to have a lot of problems with all of your Apple gear.

I don't know the exact mechanism behind why plugging certain cables/devices to a USB port (and it can include Lightning or other USB devices) shuts down the entire machine or why it's in a locked state where nothing works outside of removing all power via disconnection or waiting for a complete battery discharge. It happened to me once, but never since. It all seems to follow the same script, which is that as soon as the USB connector touches the Mac USB port everything goes dark, except maybe the MagSafe connector light starts blinking (often different colors) until it completely goes out. Everyone seems to try SMC reset, holding down power, etc. I paid attention to the noise from the board but it doesn't sounds like other noticed it.

However, I personally experienced this and no amount of you expressing that it's not possible or that I made it up changes that it happened to me. This was just an aside about one thing I've personally experienced from using an "unauthorized" cable and somehow you turned it into this.

I normally don't get this defensive, but you accused me of making stuff up just to spread misinformation. Of course I don't expect that you're going to back down from your position that I made it up. Or acknowledge that others have experienced the same condition (and the same solution) as I did. I revisited that topic because there's another guy claiming that he can't operate his MacBook Pro (can't power up or down), and I thought that perhaps disconnecting the battery connector could be a means to fix it.

power adapter works but no light at adopter connection point and no power

Mar 17, 2018 2:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 2:45 PM in response to y_p_w In response to y_p_w

It is a rare occurrence. It is not a good idea to recommend to someone that they reconnect their battery unless it is a very old Mac that had a removable battery. It is far too much information to be of any value. Just advise that they not use cheap cables and to use Apple or MFi cables. Period.

Mar 17, 2018 2:45 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: backyardfarmer

Question: I just purchased a charger cable for my Phone. It only has 6 contacts on the Lightning plug instead of 8 (2 are blank on each side) will this damage my Phone?