Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a Seagate FreeAgent external drive be used for putting photos onto from a MacOS High Sierra?

I'm trying all different ways but it looks like it's not going to allow me to do it?

My external drive has previously been used with a Windows laptop and I want to keep the photos that are currently on there but there's lots more space to take some from here. My iphone 5C is constantly too full up and I don't want to lose the photos.

Please help?

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.1

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:56 AM

I don't know what format it is but it may not be compatible with Mac OS

Connect the drive, the select the icon of the drive in the Finder. Open the Info panel with "File > Get Info"

The Info panel will show you the file system format. If you could or can use the drive on a Windows computer, it cannot be used to store your Photos Library there. The file system format should be MacOS Extended(Journaled).

Use the procedure described here to move your Photos Library to an external drive: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 6:56 AM in response to ginab99

I don't know what format it is but it may not be compatible with Mac OS

Connect the drive, the select the icon of the drive in the Finder. Open the Info panel with "File > Get Info"

The Info panel will show you the file system format. If you could or can use the drive on a Windows computer, it cannot be used to store your Photos Library there. The file system format should be MacOS Extended(Journaled).

Use the procedure described here to move your Photos Library to an external drive: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2018 1:14 AM in response to LarryHN

I don't know what format it is but it may not be compatible with Mac OS 😟 I've emailed the support team at Seagate to see what they say. I want to free up space on my Mac + iphone with clearing photos (which I don't want to delete). In the meantime I've managed to create a partition on the Mac also. Hoping that might help.

gina

Mar 16, 2018 11:06 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry. I don't want to write over whats already on my drive - there's old pictures on there I'd like to keep. So I don't really want to erase it all to reformat it.

I've managed to download Intego Backup Assistant from a link that the Seagate tech support sent me - which has enabled me to use the software to transfer photos from my OS to a partition which I've created on my Mac. I'm hoping this is OK and I've deleted the photos from my Photos library - currently they are still showing in the partition. Whoopeee! Just means that I have an external drive with LOADS of space on it which I can't use as long as I'm an Apple user.

Mar 16, 2018 11:15 AM in response to ginab99

Just means that I have an external drive with LOADS of space on it which I can't use as long as I'm an Apple user.

No - it means that

Your Mac can make limited use of Windows NT disks with third party software - you can not backup a Photos (or iPhoto) library to it

Just like if you buy Ford auto parts you can not use them on your Mercedes or is you buy Panasonic TV parts you can not use them on your LG TV, etc, etc, etc - the expectation is that parts have to be compatible with the device you want to use them on, not that every device can use any part no matter what - except that with the Mac you can make limited use of the Windows drive including storing photos (but NOT a Photos library) on it

LN

Mar 16, 2018 11:23 AM in response to ginab99

no, I only buy Mac compatible parts for my Mac and have never had any use for such software, I do know it exists but certainly would never make a recommendation for something I do not use and know nothing about - search the App Store or the internet to see what is available - and I doubt it is free, why would a software developer give away the product of their work? Do you work for free?

LN

Can a Seagate FreeAgent external drive be used for putting photos onto from a MacOS High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.