Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Time machine copying to new drive

I am wanting to replace my TM b/u drive from 2TB to 4TB. I copied backup files using finder to 4TB drive but it is still saying "preparing to copy" 48 hours later and 18 MILLION items and still going. My backup goes back to June 2016.

Should I disbandon this and start again using another way or persevere until it is all prepared to copy and then will probably take days to actually copy?

iMac

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 14, 2018 2:20 PM in response to Booberoi In response to Booberoi

Abandon it. When transferring one Time Machine’s contents from one disk to another I find it much easier, faster, and more convenient to simply use Disk Utility’s Restore function: Restore a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. That’s what I do and that’s what I recommend.

Mar 14, 2018 2:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 5:01 PM in response to Booberoi In response to Booberoi

Everything is explained in that Apple Support document, a portion of which I already quoted. It answers all your questions. If you need to format the disk again (which may have become likely upon forcing the operation to terminate prematurely) choose that option from Disk Utility.

Mar 14, 2018 5:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 5:06 PM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

The Apple support doc is misleading - why cannot it say "copy from" and the "copy to"?

What is the restore disc - the from or to disc? What volume is erased, in my case the 2TB or 4Tb - not trying to be difficult just trying to understand. Thanks for your help

Mar 14, 2018 5:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 5:10 PM in response to Booberoi In response to Booberoi

I don't know how to explain it any more explicitly than the Apple Support document already does: "This is the volume that is erased and becomes the exact copy."

If you believe that statement should be reworded, then please make that suggestion to Apple using their Feedback link.

Mar 14, 2018 5:10 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Booberoi

Question: Time machine copying to new drive