Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent Crashing

Hi All,

I've been experiencing frequent crashing with my mid 2014 MacBook Pro.

While I'm working the screen will completely freeze, everything including the cursor is unresponsive (Sometimes the fan will go into overdrive but not always) then the system shuts down completely.

After monitoring it for 2 weeks I can see in the system log that the last entry before every crash is this:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

I don't have any external monitors attached. I have done a hardware test and everything checks out okay apart from the battery which says it isn't holding as much charge as it was before. I also have BOOTCAMP to play games and have never had a crash on Windows 10.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:

• Virus Scan - clean
  • Reinstalled NVidia and CUDA drivers
  • Erased the HDD and reinstalled High Sierra
  • Erased the HDD and rolled back to El Capitan
  • Moved all of my files to an external HDD so I have 250GB free space
  • Booted in Safe Mode - Still crashed
  • Moved the file
    com.apple.NowPlayingTouchUI.plist
    out of
    /System/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (after disabling
    SIP
    ).
  • Opened up the MacBook, cleaned up the dust and replaced the thermal paste.

I am now back on the latest version of High Sierra

If anyone has any insight into why these crashes keep occurring I would greatly appreciate it. I use my MacBook for work and this issue is severely slowing me down!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, High Sierra 10.13.3

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 4:21 PM

There are no replies.

Frequent Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.