Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you upgrade a 2010 MacBook to an SSD?

Is it possible to replace the hard drive in the 2010 MacBook for a WD Green SSD? I want to know if it will physically connect and if the operating system will recognize it. It seems to me like it would work.

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-green-ssd.html

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), MacBook, 13-inch, Mid-2010

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 6:47 PM

Yes you can. You might find it helpful to connect the new SSD with an external enclosure or dock to partition and format it then clone your existing drive onto it before installation. When done your Macbook will feel like a new machine, the speed increase is incredible.

3 replies

Mar 15, 2018 1:43 PM in response to PowerMac_G4

Sure. The only caveat is that the 2010 models might only have a SATA II (3.0 Gbit/sec) interface so you would still have that limitation on raw speeds. I've checked a few discussions and a 2010 Unibody MacBook does appear to be SATA II. However, one of the biggest advantages of an SSD would be the lack of seek time of a mechanical hard drive (where the head is moving from one spot to another).

Can you upgrade a 2010 MacBook to an SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.