Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra 10.13.3 Ruined my iMac screen, fix?

10.13.3 royally forked my iMac.

I did the latest update today and this is what my iMac looks like now.

User uploaded file

Things I've tried

Reinstalling High Sierra

Disk Repair (No problems)

Restoring from time machine
Reinstalling 10.13.3.

Nothing has worked. I'm pretty sure the update fried my video card. Any other solutions out there to this? I'm highly frustrated at this point that a software update could do so much damage and even more so frustrated that Apple would release it with bugs like this.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I agree with the other replies that say the upgrade did not cause your problem. Make can appointment to have Apple examine your Mac. Afterwards they will tell you your alternatives.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 14, 2018 7:05 PM in response to lalunecreative In response to lalunecreative

Updates don't "fry" video cards, though they can expose previously-existing failures.

A software update did not cause your issue.

Your best bet is to run diagnostics and see what it has to say:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 14, 2018 7:05 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 8:16 PM in response to William Kucharski In response to William Kucharski

That's absolutely not accurate. If I'm working on my computer 8 hours a day for months, and have zero issues editing videos, browsing the web and doing general work all day, run an update and reboot and my screen stops working, it's 100% the software that was installed that caused the issue, regardless of what that issue is. I literally sat in front the screen, ran the update, rebooted, and watched it become that way. Whatever update that did caused the issue.

Mar 14, 2018 8:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 7:50 AM in response to lalunecreative In response to lalunecreative

I'm pretty sure the update fried my video card.

It is literally impossible for an operating system or any software to inflict that damage. Contact Apple Support to determine your hardware repair options: Contact Support.

Mar 15, 2018 7:50 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 7:56 AM in response to lalunecreative In response to lalunecreative

lalunecreative wrote:

That's absolutely not accurate. If I'm working on my computer 8 hours a day for months, and have zero issues editing videos, browsing the web and doing general work all day, run an update and reboot and my screen stops working, it's 100% the software that was installed that caused the issue, regardless of what that issue is.

FWIW, things work until they don't. The OS had nothing to do with it as has been explained. It's called a coincidence.

Mar 15, 2018 7:56 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Mar 15, 2018 8:01 AM in response to lalunecreative In response to lalunecreative

I agree with the other replies that say the upgrade did not cause your problem. Make can appointment to have Apple examine your Mac. Afterwards they will tell you your alternatives.

Mar 15, 2018 8:01 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: lalunecreative

Question: High Sierra 10.13.3 Ruined my iMac screen, fix?