Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Export GIF feature in Photos?

Using Photos version 3.0 on a 2017 iMac running high sierra

User uploaded file User uploaded file

If I have selected either one or multiple images the option is grayed out, but if I have no images selected it is available.

Not sure what to do differently.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 12:22 AM

"Export Gif" will export a Live Photo as an animated GIF, so you can share it as an animated gif with users who do not have a Mac or iPhone, or can publish it on a web site. You cannot use this command to export JPEGs as GIFs, because the JPEGs do not have a video component, so exporting them as an animated GIF makes no sense.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 12:22 AM in response to brushwood

"Export Gif" will export a Live Photo as an animated GIF, so you can share it as an animated gif with users who do not have a Mac or iPhone, or can publish it on a web site. You cannot use this command to export JPEGs as GIFs, because the JPEGs do not have a video component, so exporting them as an animated GIF makes no sense.

Mar 15, 2018 11:10 AM in response to léonie

Léonie:

Just thought I'd check my live photos and none of them activate the Export as Gif menu. They all play OK in the library but are unable to be exported as GIFS. I did find that if I drag them from the library to the Desktop the still and movie portions are separated and available on the Desktop. That way I can share the movie portion with others if desired.

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 11:45 AM in response to Old Toad

That is strange. All the Live Photos in my library can be exported as an animated gif. The photos have been taken with my iPhone X or created from video clips by the app "intoLIve"

The gifs are playing beautifully, but the file size is horrendous.

As a test I just exported four Live Photos as a GIF, but I cannot post them here, because they are way to large:

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Old Toad

The first Live Photo in the list, that will result in a 11.1MB GIF, has in Photos a size of just 392 kB.

The second Live Photo has in Photos a size of 1.9 MB for the still frame and 2.4 MB for the video component. The GIF export is blowing it up considerably.

User uploaded file

Do you know a nice tool to reduce the size of animated gifs, so we could post them here?

Mar 15, 2018 12:17 PM in response to léonie

Do you know a nice tool to reduce the size of animated gifs, so we could post them here?

Yes, but it only will reduce about 40%. I use ImageOptim. I use it to reduce the annimated gifs I post here. But we need to get it down to 1 MB or less before it will work in a post. If one Control (right) - clicks on the image and selects Open in New Window it will almost always work.

Mar 18, 2018 12:49 AM in response to markwmsn

I think you nailed it. That makes sense. 🙂 An animated GIF is looping, and if we edit a Live Photo and loop it or use the bounce effect, it will be stabilized and will play a lot better as an animated GIF. I turn all my Live Photos either into loops or bounce versions, so I did not notice, that "Export as GIF" is missing for standard Live Photos.. They will wobble less up and down. If possible, I use bounce, because Loop will add transitions, and the transitions will create ghosts - people appearing out of the nowhere and vanishing in thin air.

The restriction to edited Live Photos should be explained in the user guide.

What is the Export GIF feature in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.