Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen on late 2010 iMac goes black.

I have a 27” iMac and the screen keeps going black as if it is asleep. It began randomly and not very often. Now it happens all the time. I have come to realize that all other processes are not affected and in fact, I can hit shift+control+eject which normally puts the display to sleep and the screen will come back after I hit any key. Sadly this is only good for a few minutes tops at this point. What gives? I have had it in at a repair shop and they reinstalled the OS completely but the problem returned after a few weeks. My oldest son suspects it to be a power supply unit problem and may need replacing. Is this possible or can it be something else?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 6:03 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2018 7:09 PM in response to mayhem62930

Could be any number of the components that are used to light the display.

(main power supply, cable to the LED board, LED Driver Board, cables to the display, display backlights)

Maybe the guide at > iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 - iFixit will help your IT guy out.

(unfortunately iMac's by design, are not easy to work on and parts are very expensive.

Personally I would not invest in replacement parts or having it repaired, but cause it is getting to to old

Screen on late 2010 iMac goes black.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.