Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How possible is it to use a lost iPhone 6s secured with a 6digit passcode?

I recently lost my iPhone 6s (suspected theft) and it has now eventually disappeared from my findmyiPhone radar. The iCloud settings report that the iPhone’s findmyiPhone feature is off. I am wondering how possible it is for the thief to unlock an iPhone secured with this kind of passcode? (Good to mention that I had also setup and logged into my icloud on the phone and as well activated findmyiPhone) Assistance appreciated.

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:38 AM

Anyone can erase a device by restoring it in iTunes. If they did that, your data would be wiped, and your ability to track it is also gone.

But, as long as that device is listed under your device’s in your iCloud account, no one can complete the iOS activation steps to begin using it without knowing your AppleID password.

If you report the theft to your carrier, they may be able to blacklist it as well. In the USA all carriers participate in a universal blacklist. That same USA carrier-wide blacklist is now also used by most or all carriers in Canada and Mexico.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 6:38 AM in response to mike.n.k

Anyone can erase a device by restoring it in iTunes. If they did that, your data would be wiped, and your ability to track it is also gone.

But, as long as that device is listed under your device’s in your iCloud account, no one can complete the iOS activation steps to begin using it without knowing your AppleID password.

If you report the theft to your carrier, they may be able to blacklist it as well. In the USA all carriers participate in a universal blacklist. That same USA carrier-wide blacklist is now also used by most or all carriers in Canada and Mexico.

Mar 14, 2018 6:47 PM in response to mike.n.k

Well, if using 0 through 9 in a six digit sequence there are 1 million possible unique combinations. The iphone would be disabled after 10 failed attempts, so unless someone is extraordinarily lucky at guessing your passcode, it’s pretty unlikely they’ll get in.

(it’s literally all possible 6 digit numbers from 000000 to 999999)

If you routinely use touch or Face ID, then you could also use a complex passphrase in place of a passcode. That would make it even far less likely than a one in a million chance.

And of course, as long as it listed on your iCloud account under the tracked devices, activation lock remains in effect and keeps anyone from activating and using your device.

Mar 14, 2018 10:32 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks Ikrupp for the post.

This is a great possibility that the phone is simply off and its a matter of time that it gets online again. However, I would like to point out that the reason for suspecting theft is that immediately after realizing that I didn't have a phone it went offline (findmyiPhone reported the phone to be offline) about twenty or so hours, using the same feature it reported that the phone was online again and soon after the phone went off the radar.

Tracking using the providers network may not work if the phone is not in use and the reason for asking the question... "Is it possible that the phone locked with a 6 digit pass-code can be broken in? "(of course I hadn't used 1-6 as the code 🙂) If this is yes, then I may have to head straight to the authorities as the phone will definitely register on the GSM and 4G network.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2018 10:38 AM in response to mike.n.k

The fact that the phone is coming on /off line would seem to me to be the suspected thief is trying to unlock the phone. A six digit pin code would be effectively impossible to guess and while there are ways of getting into any electronic device that sort thing is in the realm of governments and their security operations. You would have to be a high value target for that to happen. No, in my opinion someone is trying and failing to get into your iPhone. You would think common thieves would know this by now. People who bought “used” iPhones from Craigslist and other non-standard sources are always coming here and asking how to defeat activation lock. It’s simply can’t be done by the common user or thief.

Mar 15, 2018 10:47 AM in response to lkrupp

Thanks Ikrupp, this ties to Michael Blacks submission above. Am happy about one thing, though the phone has gone off the radar the bad guy will only have a shell to look at because it is indeed in my list of managed devices (iCloud / Settings / My Devices) and will not remove it any time soon.

I do appreciate your views and already see there are other iPhone users who are interested in this case who will definitely get the assistance.

How possible is it to use a lost iPhone 6s secured with a 6digit passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.