Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

map for Photos information not showing

Suddenly I can't see the map on any of my photos anymore. The map was at the bottom of the information window. But now it only shows the closest town, and no map. The maps used to be there. Why did they go away and how do I get them back? My camera has a gps, and maps always showed before.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 1:15 PM

UT, I still cannot see a map in the Information window of each picture. Hmmmmm. Just the written location of the nearest city.

What does the Information panel for your photos look like?

Could you post a screenshot?

I the View menu in Photos, did you enable the the option "View Metadata > Locations"?

Did you mean the current version if macOS 11.13.3? When I view "About this mac", and then I click "Software Update", it tells me "No Updates Available".

With OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) you are running the last version of El Capitan. There are no more updates. To get the current version of MacOS X you need to install a system upgrade, not an update. This link will take you to the upgrade site: macOS High Sierra Preview - Apple

And this page lists the hardware requirements: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 1:15 PM in response to RFeather

UT, I still cannot see a map in the Information window of each picture. Hmmmmm. Just the written location of the nearest city.

What does the Information panel for your photos look like?

Could you post a screenshot?

I the View menu in Photos, did you enable the the option "View Metadata > Locations"?

Did you mean the current version if macOS 11.13.3? When I view "About this mac", and then I click "Software Update", it tells me "No Updates Available".

With OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) you are running the last version of El Capitan. There are no more updates. To get the current version of MacOS X you need to install a system upgrade, not an update. This link will take you to the upgrade site: macOS High Sierra Preview - Apple

And this page lists the hardware requirements: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

Mar 15, 2018 1:43 PM in response to léonie

OK all you smart people out there in apple support communities. Nobody told me to reboot my computer. Isn't that the first thing I should have done? So I just did that, and my maps are BACK. Leonie, thank you especially for your help.

It's all fixed!

By the way, the information panel always showed me faces, and location of the nearest cities. Because you asked, I have uploaded a screenshot of the information window before I was fixed. And I'll check out those hardware requirements for upgrading this old mac mini. Darn, I thought this might be the magic to force me to buy a new computer.

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 1:01 PM in response to RFeather

With macOS 11.6.1 you are way behind. The current version is macOS 10.13.3, if your Mac can run this version.

* If the server for the maps on apple's side is not working, wouldn't a lot more people be complaining?

Maybe not, if it only affects the map servers for specific countries,.

What is very puzzling, is, that the places name is showing, but not the map.

Can you see a map with your photos, if you view the photos as Moments and click the name of a place like described here? https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.1/?lang=en#/pht4c00b8ddc

When you select a photo and export the original with "File > Export > export unmodified original" and open the Info panel of the exported photo in the Finder, does the the Info panel display the GPS coordinates?

Mar 15, 2018 5:16 AM in response to RFeather

But now it only shows the closest town, and no map. The maps used to be there.

The maps will only be shown,

• if the photo has GPS information,
  • and if your computer is connected to the internet and no firewall interfering,
  • and if the server for the Maps on Apple's side is working. If Apple's servers for certain locations are down, the maps may temporarily been missing.
  • And the photo must not be in the Hidden album. If you hide a photo with ⌘L, the Info panel will no longer display the location, even if the photo has GPS assigned.

Has there been an OS update that changed it recently?

Is your signature "OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)" still valid? If you recently installed a system upgrade, Photos may still be busy with the scanning of your library and reindexing the locations.

Mar 15, 2018 1:01 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for trying to solve this problem.

* The photos have GPS information. The Sony camera we use has that capability, as well as our iphones.

* The computer is connected to the internet and there is no firewall. I just rechecked, and today there are still no maps, just the place name.

* If the server for the maps on apple's side is not working, wouldn't a lot more people be complaining?

* None of my photos in the Mac Photo App are hidden.

* I am still running 10.11.6. I always update soon after I'm notified there is an update, but I can't remember if it was recent. I don't think so.

Thanks again for trying. I need my maps. I have some legal issues where I need to find some pictures taken in a certain place. I could always export the photos to Google Photos, which has a LOT BETTER map, a lot bigger, but that is time consuming. I just want the maps to work in the Photo app.

Mar 15, 2018 1:01 PM in response to léonie

Did you mean the current version if macOS 11.13.3? When I view "About this mac", and then I click "Software Update", it tells me "No Updates Available". I am allowed a free upgrade to macOS High Sierra (Is that 11.113?), however, Apple has not suggested I do that and I suspect it is because my computer is so old. My this old computer has always displayed the maps in Photos before.

I went to the link you provided above, followed the instructions, and YES, there I see a map. A big map, with my photos placed correctly on it. And the more I zoom in, the more accurate the location gets. Well, that solves my immediate problem of needing to see where some photos were taken.

BUT, I still cannot see a map in the Information window of each picture. Hmmmmm. Just the written location of the nearest city.

Thanks again for your help.

map for Photos information not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.