Thank you for trying to solve this problem.
* The photos have GPS information. The Sony camera we use has that capability, as well as our iphones.
* The computer is connected to the internet and there is no firewall. I just rechecked, and today there are still no maps, just the place name.
* If the server for the maps on apple's side is not working, wouldn't a lot more people be complaining?
* None of my photos in the Mac Photo App are hidden.
* I am still running 10.11.6. I always update soon after I'm notified there is an update, but I can't remember if it was recent. I don't think so.
Thanks again for trying. I need my maps. I have some legal issues where I need to find some pictures taken in a certain place. I could always export the photos to Google Photos, which has a LOT BETTER map, a lot bigger, but that is time consuming. I just want the maps to work in the Photo app.