Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to copy music to ipod

I am unable to copy any music from my iTunes library to my iPod Nano.

Below is a screen capture of the properties of the iPod Nano.

As shown below, there is over 9GB of space on the iPod.

User uploaded file

While in iTunes, I selected three albums from my Library, but the option to "Add to Device" is not available.

User uploaded file

I have copied dozens of albums from my iTunes Library four iPod Nano's.

iPod shown above is iPod number five.

The albums highlighted were recently purchased on cd from a local music store.

The "Add to Device" option used to be available, and worked just fine.

Now it is suddenly unavailable.

I suspect a recent "update" to my iTunes caused this copy function to stop working.

How do I copy music from my iTunes library to my iPod?

If I remove iTunes from my computer, can I download and install an older version of iTunes that works?

The iTunes on my computer (running Windows 7) is version 12.7.3.46.

I don't want to use any kind of "sync" function.

I simply want to copy the selected albums to my iPod.

Any suggestions?

Martin K

iPod nano

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 9:07 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 28, 2018 3:09 AM in response to martin565

martin565 wrote:

If I uninstall and reinstall iTunes from the laptop, do I lose my entire music library?

No, but you should have a backup of your library. A suggested approach is given in the user tip. See also If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support. If you insist Windows uses the new driver anyway that may fix things.

tt2

Mar 27, 2018 7:49 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.

The Browse button has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

My entire music collection was purchased on either vinyl LP's or CD's either at local retailers or ordered online.

I have not downloaded any music from Apple Music nor do I have a subscription to this service.

If I can no longer add music to my iPods thru iTunes, then perhaps it's time to discontinue my use of iTunes and start looking for another mp3 player.

I originally bought a Creative Zen mp3 player (64GB capacity) which worked great until the upgrade to Windows 7.

I decided to try Apple's iPod, which also worked great until the "Add to device" feature was disabled.

Apple has discontinued the iPod Nano anyway, so that's another reason to switch technologies.

Regards,

Martin K.

Mar 27, 2018 8:28 PM in response to turingtest2

iTunes is installed on my laptop, and I can play any song in my library on the laptop.

Additional info:

After connecting one of my iPods to the laptop, I took a look in Windows Device manager.

The iPod has a yellow triangle next to it under "Portable devices".

When I look in Properties, Windows displays the following:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

Each of my iPods reveals the same error message when connected to the laptop.

I tried updating the driver, but Windows reports the driver is "up to date".

Does the registry error suggest that the problem is with the laptop itself, and not the iTunes software?

I'll take a look at the "Troubleshooting..." document you mentioned.

If I uninstall and reinstall iTunes from the laptop, do I lose my entire music library?

Regards,

Martin K.

Mar 27, 2018 8:51 PM in response to martin565

I connected one of the iPods to the laptop and opened it in Windows Explorer.

On the iPod I find a folder called E:\iPod_Control\Music which contains a series of subfolders F00 thru F49.

Each subfolder contains a collection of .m4a files, which I assume to be song files, even though the name of each .m4a file seems to be a random series of four capital letters.

I created a new folder F50, and, from iTunes, dragged and dropped one of the albums (16 songs) onto the new folder.

Windows successfully copied the 16 song files to the iPod. Instead of a four letter file name, the m4a files copied still have the full song title as the filename.

I then ejected and disconnected the iPod, but the new album does not show up under either "Albums" or "Music".

The files are on the iPod, but the iPod cannot "see" the files to play them.

Hmmmmm.

Martin K.

Mar 27, 2018 9:17 PM in response to martin565

I think I've cracked it!

When selecting one or more albums in iTunes like in my original screen shot, the "Add to Device" function is unavailable.

However, if I open one album, then scroll down and select one or more individual tracks, the "Add to Device" function is available once again.

This is not how it used to work.

When I first transferred my library to my iPod(s), I was able to select dozens of albums in iTunes at once and then have iTunes add them all to the device in one operation.

It looks like I'm good to go until iPod 5 is full.

Cheers!

Martin K.

Mar 28, 2018 3:13 AM in response to martin565

martin565 wrote:

I created a new folder F50, and, from iTunes, dragged and dropped one of the albums (16 songs) onto the new folder.

Delete the folder you created and the files therein. The device won't use them. The hidden folders and obfuscated filenames are an anti-piracy measure. When iTunes adds tracks to the device it also adds to the database on it. Without the correct entries in the database the new files are irrelevant and just taking up room.

tt2

Mar 28, 2018 3:17 AM in response to martin565

martin565 wrote:

When I first transferred my library to my iPod(s), I was able to select dozens of albums in iTunes at once and then have iTunes add them all to the device in one operation.

I'm pretty sure it should still work like that. Not sure why you're having an issue with it. Reinstalling might help, but I cannot promise. Does drag & drop to the device work?

tt2

unable to copy music to ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.