Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 8 won't take music from CDs

Recently bought an iPhone 8, and not only is the current version of my iTunes on my Mac computer outdated (the computer is only about 6 years old if that), my iPhone won't take music that was uploaded from CDs. Instead it's just downloaded everything on the iCloud, which I don't even want because it's not all my music. I have been using alternative programmes to upload music and the programmes seem to be working, but when I've checked my phone nothing is there. And these programmes claim to upload CDs. Help!

iPad

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 5:59 AM

First of all what you might need to do is update your iTunes to the latest software version, then you can turn iCloud Music library off, from Settings>Music in the iPhone 8 so it will let you sync with iTunes. After that you will be able to connect your device with the computer and sync music across from your iTunes to the iPhone 8 successfully.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Maddy-Hatter

First of all what you might need to do is update your iTunes to the latest software version, then you can turn iCloud Music library off, from Settings>Music in the iPhone 8 so it will let you sync with iTunes. After that you will be able to connect your device with the computer and sync music across from your iTunes to the iPhone 8 successfully.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2018 10:37 PM in response to panosds

I've got the current version of iTunes my Mac can get. When I go into updates, there's no available update for my iTunes and I looked it into and apparently the most current version of iTunes is not compatible with my computer. I went to the Apple store and they confirmed this and were not able to help me. There has to be another way, surely. How to other people with current iPhones use them? Surely not everyone has a relatively new computer to match.

Mar 17, 2018 1:49 AM in response to Maddy-Hatter

To use that new iPhone 8, your iMac needs to be running, at a minimum, OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite or later (your iMac model CAN ONLY be upgraded to and run either Mac OS X 10.11.5 El Capitán OR the very latest macOS High Sierra and you, also, need to update your iTunes version to iTunes 12.7.x.

Before embarking on a major OS upgrade, it would be wise, advisable and very prudent if you have a good, working backup of your current system to an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, use either OS X Time Machine app to backup your entire system to the external drive OR purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your entire Mac's internal hard drive. This step is really needed in case something goes wrong with the install of the new OS or you simply do not like the new OS, you have a very easy way/procedure to return your Mac to its former working state.

Then, determine if your Mac meets ALL minimum system install requirements.

To download and install either the free macOS Sierra OR OS X 10.11.5 El Capitán need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed

2 GB or more of memory (I strongly advise, at least, 4 GBs of RAM or more)

8 GB or more of available space

For upgrading to macOS Sierra/High Sierra, you need to meet these minimum Mac system hardware requirements.

MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

iMac (Late 2009 or newer)

Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

These Mac hardware models need to be running OS X 10.7.5 Lion or later OS X version to upgrade and install macOS Sierra.

Next,

you run any older Mac software from the earlier PowerPC Macs, then none of this software will work with the newer OS X versions (10.7 and onward). OS X Snow Leopard had a magical and invisible PowerPC emulation application, called Rosetta, that worked seamlessly in the background that still allowed older PowerPC coded software to still operate in a Intel CPU Mac.

The use of Rosetta ended with OS X Snow Leopard as the Rosetta application was licensed to Apple, from a software company called Transitive, which got bought out, I believe, by IBM and Appe could no longer secure their rights to continue to use Rosetta in later versions of OS X.

So, you would need to check to see if you have software on your Mac that maybe older than, say, 2006 or older.

Also, check for app compatibilty here.

http://roaringapps.com/

If you have any commercial antivirus installed and/or hard drive cleaning apps installed on your Mac, like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneUpMyMac, MacCleanse, etc. now would be a good time to completely uninstall these apps by doing a Google search to learn how to properly uninstall these types of apps.

These types of apps will only cause your Mac issues later after the install of the new OS X version and you will have to completely uninstall these types of apps later.

Once you have determined all of this, you should be able to find the latest versions of OS X by clicking on the Mac App Store icon in the OS X Dock and then login to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID and password.

You can then begin the download and installation process of installing the newer versions of OS X from the Mac App Store.

Good Luck!

Iphone 8 won't take music from CDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.